Working out for a work out hater?!?!

hmd77
on 8/15/11 3:45 am - KY
Ok so this sounds completely horrible, but I hate working out. I dislike getting sweaty and sticky. I know what you are thinking - LAZY! Yeah, I know. Things haven't always been this way; I was in the Army. I used to work out like a mad woman. But now that I am heavy I find it hard to motivate myself to work out - even at home.  When I walk the dog (my current work out routine) it is a short, brisk walk (maybe .50 mile). Sad, I know. I bought Zumba for the Wii (love going to Zumba but can't afford it anymore) and I have done it ONCE - wow really? That was sad to admit. I was winded after 10 minutes and felt defeated.  I keep telling myself that once I lose more weight I will want to work out, but I have lost quite a bit and nothing has changed.

So I am asking... if you dread working out, how did you start on the path to a good routine?

Surgery Date  6/6/2011
Bluegrass Bariatrics
Dr. John Oldham
Add me on FB -  http://www.facebook.com/heavenly12b

Cookster
on 8/15/11 3:51 am - AZ
With exercise, there is no such thing as 'motivation'. If we wait to be motivated, we'll be waiting a long time. I hate starting up an exercise program, but once I've forced myself to bite the bullet and do it, it starts getting easier and more fun and I start seeing muscles that were never there before. SO...JUST DO IT!!! I hate to sound harsh, but that's how you do it. Forget all the failures, today is a new day. Go girl, you can do it!!!
lann08
on 8/15/11 3:56 am, edited 8/15/11 3:58 am - VA
I'm nearly 2 1/2 post op. I was just like you...hated exercise...hated getting sweaty and just lacked motivation. I actually didn't really commit to exercise until after I got to goal. I wouldn't recommend waiting that long but during the weightloss phase, for months, normal activities would exhaust me. Once I lost to goal, increased caloric intake, I had more energy. Plus, moving a much smaller body was so much easier. Now, I'm a huge fan of exercise. I exercise A LOT. I take classes at the local YMCA...Zumba, Weight Training classes, Pilates, Yoga, etc...and I LOVE to exercise now. I love seeing the progress my body has made and continues to make...watching how exercise is changing my body. I love how I feel after exercise class.  I actually started very small. I started with walking in my subdivision and then walking at the local high school track. Now, I feel much more confident and comfortable exercising in front of other people and just cannot imagine my life without exercise. I recently went on vacation and was up at 5 am to exercise for an hour every single morning along with hiking and snorkeling and lot and lots of walking during the day. I lost weight on my vacation. I'm getting ready to leave for a cruise with girlfriends and have started packing. The first things that went into my suitcase were workout shoes and workout clothes. Once you begin, see how it changes your body and makes you feel not just physically but mentally, you mght find, like several on this board, that you LOVE exercise. Just start slow. Do a variety of things as part of your exercise regime. Set short and longterm goals.
hmd77
on 8/15/11 4:10 am - KY
Definitely needs to Just Do It! As I sit here and think BLEH! LOL I suppose I better start something before it leads to more nothing!

Thanks!

Surgery Date  6/6/2011
Bluegrass Bariatrics
Dr. John Oldham
Add me on FB -  http://www.facebook.com/heavenly12b

lovemyboys
on 8/15/11 4:16 am
I don't like exercise one bit.  But I decided, when I opted for this surgery, that I was going to have do it.  So, I bought me a good "used" treadmill from craigslist and have been using it 20-30 mins each evening.  I figure I owe it to myself to devote that time each evening.  It really goes quickly actually.  I usually watch some tv while doing it.  As I lose more weight, I'll pick up the pace and jog/run, but for now I go at a nice fast walking pace.  So for me, someone who doesn't like to exercise, this has worked for me.

LittleMissSunshine
on 8/15/11 4:18 am
If you love music, check my blog... not a huge motivator, but making your own catered-to-cadence playlists do introduce an element of fun and challenge to see if you can progress beyond the speeds you start off with.

I find a good mix of inspirational lyrics and dance-ish beats help make the workouts a bit less of a chore... once you commit to getting a routine in place (say, stick to doing it at the same time every day for 2 weeks), it does get easier to keep the momentum going.

Good luck!

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

sourcherriex
on 8/15/11 4:37 am - CA
 I started getting into exercise back in March - I didn't even know surgery was an option until June so I was still dieting and working my butt off to lose ANYTHING. I'm with you on the sticky/sweaty thing - I absolutely hate it. I fell in love with the swimming pool. I didn't feel gross and the workouts feel way easier in there. It felt like I was accomplishing more. There are even exercises that I could NEVER do on land that I can magically do in the pool! I love it. I also fell completely in love with spinning. I have a stationary bike in my living room and I just pop a movie in and bike until it's over.
 ~Marisa~

acbbrown
on 8/15/11 4:56 am - Granada Hills, CA
You need a goal or something to motivate you. If you are only going to exercise for the sake of exercise because "you should" - it might be hard.

I started walking a long time ago and then decided I wanted to do a 5K. So I kept working at it so I could do it. And then I did it, and decided I wanted to do more 5Ks and eventually a 10K, so I had to increase my workouts. It keeps me motivated. But I'm weird because I love to sweat since I know i"m burning major calories doing it :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

FaithForward
on 8/15/11 5:19 am - Houston, TX
Amen to that! My motto is "I like excercise as long as it doesn't make me hot, tired or sweaty".

I'm not not a "feel the burn" kinda of gym girl. I've been pretty lazy since its been so hot, but need a swift kick in the ass to get back at it. My torture of choice is walking, bike riding and zumba.
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded. ~2 Chronicles 15:7 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers 
5'6" ~ Loving a size 4 ~
Plastics Apr 17th, 2012 with Dr. Sauceda ~ BL, BA, LBL w/ flap aug & mini thigh lift!

ready2Bhealthy2
on 8/15/11 6:53 am
I am comitted when I have a work out buddy.  Knowing that I'm supposed to meet up with somebody makes me get out of bed at 5am and get my butt to the gym.  However, if I don't have a comittment then I just hit snooze and go back to sleep....
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views