decisions, decisions......

mmplumme
on 8/17/11 6:57 am - TX
VSG on 06/11/12
I met with my doctor today for my first one on one. Now I have 6 months of nutritional program before I can qualify for my lapband revision. unfortunatly, I have decide.....bypass or sleeve. I need to lose about 150 lbs. I see this amount being lost with bypass, but have people had this kind of success with the sleeve?
(deactivated member)
on 8/17/11 8:07 am, edited 8/17/11 8:07 am - Nashville, TN
I go for my surgery Monday morning, so I'm about 4 days before my operation.

I spoke with my primary care physician a few minutes ago; he's one of my best friends, and has been supportive of my decision all along.

We have a mutual friend who had either a duodenal switch or a gastric bypass; he lives with all the negative side-effects you hear about (constant diarrhea, gas), but I suspect this is because he's not following anything remotely close to a healthy food plan. In fact, he's gained over a hundred pounds, probably more from the look of him.

I'm getting a sleeve gastrectomy on Monday; from talking with the surgeon, who does lap band, sleeve, gastric bypass, and duodenal switch, the decision was easy for me. He recommended the sleeve for me, based on everything I told him about my history, plus his own experience with patients.

I can't imagine living with the problems inherent with gastric bypasses; the decision was easy for me. I think both will yield excellent results, and from what my surgeon told me, the sleeve is an excellent choice and will be a lifesaver.

I'm really excited!
disabled_nurse
on 8/17/11 8:28 am - Bogalusa, LA
please get the sleeve, I have lost in total over 200 pounds!!!!!! With the rny, they re-route your intestines, and have way more complications, they regain most of there weight..................my sister has to have blood transfusions and iron infusions every few months, that is why I had the sleeve done.

mmplumme
on 8/18/11 7:19 am - TX
VSG on 06/11/12

Thanks so much for the information.  I do appreciate it! The only people I know that have had the sleeve are people that needed to lose less than 50lbs. I am just so worried about failing again. I just really need to succeed this time. 

Congrats on all your weight loss Disabled_nurse!!!

Bob- GOOD LUCK!!!!! Keep me posted on your progress!!! I would love to hear about it!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views