Did you have to do a gall bladder ultrasound before surgery?

Robin W.
on 8/18/11 1:55 pm - Severn, MD
As part of my pre op, I have to have an ultrasound of my gall bladder. I have read where a number of people on here had their gall bladder removed when the sleeve was done. I figured my surgeon would be able to look at my gall bladder during surgery, and decide iif it needs to come out. Then I'm like well what if I decide to keep it, and it goes bad shortly after the surgery. IDK decisions decisions.  

Robin    
Smardeepants
on 8/18/11 2:02 pm

I had to have an ultrasound as part of my pre-op fun, too.

My ultrasound came back normal, but in surgery my surgeon saw that it was badly scarred so he removed it. I'm glad I don't have to worry about a 2nd surgery for that... one was enough for me! 

Kim W.
on 8/18/11 2:08 pm
 I had a ultrasound as a part of my pre op as well and they found 1 stone in my gallbladder! I had no idea it was there! But my surgeon is going to take out mine at the same time as well! Good Luck to you!

Thininmymind
on 8/18/11 3:00 pm
I had the ultrasound and it looked fine. I also signed a form from my surgeon's office whether or not I wanted him to remove it, if he saw gallbladder disease during the surgery.

Gastric Sleeve July 2011 Steven Simper - BL January 2013 Brian Brzowski - LBL March 2013 Brian Brzowski

califsleevin
on 8/18/11 3:17 pm - CA
Ultrasounds were not part of our pre-op regimen - if he felt gallstones in there during surgery he would remove it, though I think he normally removed it as a matter of course with his DS patients.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

CoolBeans
on 8/18/11 4:18 pm - MD
 My surgeon doesn't require them of everyone, but he did require it of me. He didn't see anything that made him take my gall bladder, so I still have it. 
 Cari    
PBJ
on 8/18/11 11:14 pm
I think having the US done is a great idea!!  My doc did not suggest one and I had never had any GB issues...but then at 3 months post op I had to have emergency GB surgery.  So I wish that I had been scanned pre vsg ...but oh well..I got another 3 weeks off of work!  Seriously...I do think it is a great idea.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Crabadams72
on 8/18/11 11:36 pm - Silver Spring, MD
My PCP did almost every test imaginable. I did the ultrasound and they found 2 golf-ball sized stones. I got my GB removed with the sleeve. I never knew they were there all that time.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

b_scene33
on 8/19/11 1:19 pm - OH
You know I was wondering about this as well. I had ultrasounds done on all my organs down there and they found several stones in my GB. My surgeon said he is not going to remove my gallbladder unless it becomes an issue. I really like my surgeon and his team so I will trust his thoughts on this, but i hope I doesnt lead to a second surgery.

♫♫♪♪♫Brie♫♫♪♪♫
*H:5'4" HW: 242 SW: 218.8 CW:142  GW:142*
Surgery Date 9/07/11

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 399 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views