Has anybody had their VSG paid for by OHIP?

binaakwe
on 8/19/11 1:53 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
Hi.  I am considering surgery and, after some research, think that the "sleeve" is for me but I am looking for some up to date information on what is covered by OHIP.  I already know that the "bypass" is the favored sugery by OHIP but my health is quite complicated and my BMI is over 50.  If you have had the "sleeve" done in Ontario or elsewhere and it was paid for by OHIP please contact by posting here or emailing me.  Thanks.
ms_dar
on 8/19/11 9:42 am - Canada
Apparently they are making this more difficult but yes I was covered.  I went through preassessment in Windsor and had my surgery in Guelph.  When I asked Windsor doc about VSg he said no way and if I was not prepared to have RNY then I should leave and look at self pay. Needless to say, i ignored his advice, continued on with their program and my research.  When I got to thew surgeon, I discussed my valid reasons for my personal preference and he agreed to do the VSG because it could be considered as the first step and I could have a revision later if needed.  I think not! I LOVE  my sleeve and wish you well on your struggle to have OHIP pay for your choice of surgery. 

Lynnww666
on 8/19/11 10:06 am - Canada
Aren't Canadian regulations odd... here in BC, we can get RnY or VSG paid for (after a few years on the waiting list of course) but bands must be self paid and in other provinces it's different. We need our health regulations to get even across the board.
Anyhow, best of luck with OHIP and I do hope you can get the sleeve. I think it was the best decision for me and, from all the research I have done, I think it's generally a great surgery.
Hang in there,
Lynn
Quien quiera pescado que se moje el culo
Dec. 2010 weight 355, surgery weight 292 Current weight 199

PaulaToronto
on 8/19/11 12:09 pm - Toronto, Canada
Yes it does happen but not as often as some would like.  Go over to the Ontario board and have a read or re-post there. Some of the bariatric centers are more amenable to VSG such as Hamilton.  I am going for a VSG and should find out if I'm approved in the next month or so.  All my tests, etc. have been completed and it's about a year since I first applied.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 386 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 419 views