4 Days post-op, is this normal?

Adrienne J.
on 8/20/11 12:41 am - GA
I don't mean to be a pest and ask too many questions, but I am just curious if I'm on track here. I am 4 days post op, and I've been sipping, walking, resting repeating as suggested. I am curious about the pain I'm feeling. It seems to be mostly located on the right side of my tummy, where there happens to be a slight dent where one of the incisions was made. Whenever I get up out of bed or go to stand up fully erect, it feels as if it's stretching and pulling like crazy.
I am actually feeling what I think may be hunger, but I am in no way tempted to eat at all...so no worries about me cheating! It's almost like hunger/nausea/pain.

Does any of this sound normal and how much longer do you think I may have until I start feeling the pan subside and more like myself? I am ready to exercise and shed these pounds!
mythreechildren2001
on 8/20/11 12:55 am
I had the pain/discomfort you describe at my largest incision which was my right side.  My dr removed my stomach from the right side, while it seems a lot, if not most, have theirs removed from the left side.  My pain was so great there that I slept in a recliner for almost 3 weeks.  

As for the hunger, are you on a PPI?  I was having a lot of hunger/nausea until I started taking my acid reducer.  It helped a lot, although some days I must have more acid than others because I still have days where I feel hungry all the time but those are rare.

50 y/o female 5'6" HW 283 current 160 goal 150

GOING2LOSEIT2011
on 8/20/11 1:01 am
I had pain in the same area , mine bulged . It is where the Dr took took out my old tummy . That was the only spot that was sore . We thought it might also be a hernia , but now 6 weeks out everything is smooth and it isn't an issue .
Give your self time , your early out . .... And when your cleared for exercises start out  slow ..The weight will come off
Wishing you the best

I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me.Phil 4:13
  Hw 386  Sw 322 Cw 226.6
DR.Christine Chu   Fremont , Ca                 
  VSG  6/28

1london
on 8/20/11 1:08 am
Hi and congratulations on your sleeve!!  You can ask as many questions as you like....that's what the OH  family is all about!!
As for your pain on the right side...I experienced the same thing.  If it is indented it is probably the incision where your Dr. removed your stomach.  No worries, the pain will get better each day and mine was almost gone around day 9.  I slept in bed and everything.  Did you receive a binder that you wear around your mid-section?  If you did, that really helped when I walked or when I slept at night.
What your feeling is very normal and as far as you "feeling" hunger, if your not taking pepcid or the like, you may want to contact your Dr. and talk about starting one. 
Best wishes on your continued success. 
In_It_To_Lose_It
on 8/20/11 1:09 am - MI
Agree with what's been posted - I also had pain in my right side and in the incision to the right of my belly button - tapered off  over several weeks.  I also had some nausea - had a pill for the nausea and for the reflux.  My nausea didn't last long (not even a week), but I still take prevacid almost daily to help with acid and digestion.  Sounds like you're experiencing what a lot have, but always communicate it to your dr to ensure an accurate diagnosis - they are the experts and have helped many many people recover, so know how best to help you.
Walking will be one of the best ways to exercise for awhile.  Give your body time to heal, recover, and adjust.  Don't overdo it.  Can relate to the impatience about getting to exercise, but take it slow.  The pounds will keep coming off, so don't worry about it too much.  I was cleared to exercise when I was one month out - love going to the gym. You'll get there!
Good luck on your recovery :)

Adrienne J.
on 8/20/11 1:13 am - GA
Thank you so much for the replies! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. I am taking prevacid twice a day, but just started that yesterday. Thanks for the reassurance, it helps alot.
BriarRose
on 8/20/11 1:27 am
Yep, totally normal ! You had major surgery ! Take your pain medication, or get some liquid tylenol, that will help too. I had quite a bit of "discomfort" exactly where you are having it too. As I healed, over the net couple weeks, I could feel the pain moving from a deep pain to an occasional pinch if I moved just wrong...hang in there, at day 4; you are about to turn the page on feeling lousy....it just gets better from here !
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
intothehaze
on 8/20/11 3:05 am
 I had my VSG on 8/15 and feel the same thing every now and then. It's from one of the cuts to the muscle / tissue that will need to to streach a bit to get back to normal. I think you are doing just fine. Hang in there and if you really start to feel a lot of pain, call your doc. 

:)

VGS Date: 8/15/11    
Age: 34 | Ht: 5' 11" | HW: 380 | Pre-op: 363 | SW: 300 | CW: 199.3 | GW: 190 
AnastasiaBeaverhausn
on 8/20/11 7:46 am
I'm 8 days out and I have the same pain/pulling.  It is annoying but now I know what it is.  I have been using ice packs on spots where it hurts to help reduce any swelling.  I was wondering about wrapping my stomach because it seems like that would help greatly.  I didn't know there was a binder!  It does seem to get a bit better everyday.  However, that first time I get out of bed in the morning and sit up, I'm just waiting for the pain to hit and each day it is less pain.  I've been sleeping sitting up for all but one night since I got home.  I've considered the recliner but I prefer to be in bed.
HW - 275  SW- 226  GW-150  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views