tell me your lies!

cristalpoppin
on 8/22/11 10:01 am - Austin, TX
 I want to know what you told people that you didn't want knowing that you had WLS to explain your weight loss. More specifically, what do you tell people early on when you go out to eat and they're like so ummm why are you ordering just beans? And why did you only eat four bites? 

I know so many of you are proud of your WLS and your success, BUT there are a few (hundred) people that I don't want knowing that I had a VSG. Liiiike the people I graduated highschool with persay. 

My whole family knows ... thats another couple hundred (I'm Mexican :p). So don't go thinking that I'm wallowing in shame over here, I'm not. 

I'm thinking something along the lines of having my appendix removed, my gall bladder removed, etc. ideas would be appreciated!!!

Starting weight: 350 Weight at surgery (8/12/11): 320 Long-term goal: lose 200 lbs!

jojoslim
on 8/22/11 10:07 am
My doc suggested I tell people I was having a hernia repair.  so far I just have said that I am using the shakes to help me get healthier and people seem content with that.  I've told 5 people all up - and 3 of them I live with.  

twellington1
on 8/22/11 10:19 am - NH
I have told alot of people that I am close to, but most everyone else I have just explained my weightloss so far as me watching what I eat.  My boss had been on a high protein diet a few months ago and I tell everyone that I am following her diet ( I am kind of) . As for my absence from work (my surgery is in 6 days)  I have been vague with people that do not need to know and just said I am going out on medical leave and that I would be back in a month.  People that need to know have the information.  If there is gossip so be it!!! My family and close friends know about it and luckly are very supportive. Good luck however you decide to handle it.

Mom4Jazz
on 8/22/11 10:21 am
If you're a woman, just say you're having "surgery" in a mysterious tone of voice and they'll jump to the conclusion it's a female thing...people tend to consider matters like that private and will leave it alone - weight loss not so much.

That way, if they do find out you haven't lied to them!

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

USAF Wife
on 8/22/11 10:31 am
For eating out; or in mixed company; Just say " I had a huge breakfast, lunch, late breakfast, brunch, late lunch etc etc" if someone asks why you aren't eating.

Also, say you end up at a buffet, or pot luck. Coolest trick I've used is put a little portion of several different offerings on my plate toward the middle of the plate. Sit down, eat what I could/was allowed, and then just shuffle the food to the edge of the plate, move it around and make the middle of the plate appear empty.

I've only had one server ask me about my food. 

When we don't make a big deal out of the lack of our eating, others will follow suit. That's been my experience.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

skinimini
on 8/22/11 11:27 am
I agree with USAF wife. I tell waitresses all the time that I had a big breakfast, etc. that is why I am not so hungry. As for weight loss, I say I am following a high protein, low carb. diet. None of those are lies!! I DID have a big breakfast ( for me !!) half a cup of cottage cheese ! LOL

I am 5' 7" tall and 35-years-old   **Sheri**
My ticker shows who I did this for:  Azure and Malachi

July 10th, 2011:  Down 26 lbs. and 15 1/4 ".

Aug. 10th, 2011: Down 14 lbs. and 13 3/4 ".

Sept. 10th, 2011:

Oct. 10th, 2011:

Marcia B.
on 8/23/11 6:06 am - CA
personally for me I don't care who knows. and if asked I will tell. And for servers at restaurants I just tell them to bring me a plate and I share with my hubby :) I think to each his own.  I don't feel uncomfortable telling people if I have had surgery because no matter what they think or what they say it's my body and for my health :)
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views