I learned today I have sleep apnea! So happy!

kch561
on 8/23/11 9:00 am - CT
I did an overnight sleep study 2 weeks ago as part of my surgeon's requirements (I knew I snored but didn't think I had apnea).  I saw the pulmonologist today to go over the results. He told me I have borderline severe sleep apnea -- on average, he said, I have difficulty breathing 53 times AN HOUR!!  

I'm so happy, not only because now I have a co-morbidity that will be more ammunition in my favor when I submit my request for surgery to my insurer, but also because I finally have a reason for feeling like crap these past few months!!  I've been constantly sleepy/fatigued (even with 12+ hrs of sleep and naps), having lots of headaches, having difficulty concentrating at work, and generally been mighty irritable!

Within a week, I'll be fitted for a CPAP machine and am told I will feel like a new woman literally overnight!  And the best part? The pulmonologist said that once I have the surgery (I'm hoping for late Nov/early Dec) and start losing weight, the apnea will likely go away on its own, so I won't have to use the mask forever.

I haven't even had the surgery yet and already I'm on my way to feeling better and getting healthier! Yay.

prettypixels
on 8/23/11 9:42 am
Wow, I just got the same diagnosis... except mine is 47 times an hour. I am terrified, though! I could not sleep last night for thinking I am going to die in my sleep.
kch561
on 8/23/11 9:51 am - CT
I know exactly how you feel, though to be honest I think my boyfriend is more freaked out than I am. He told me earlier today he's going to make himself wake up every half hour to check on me in the night...

53 vs. 47 -- in my book, anything besides zero is too much!!

wert
on 8/23/11 10:06 am - MN
You WILL feel like a new person. The first week or two with my CPAP was amazing. I remember feeling better and better every day. I felt like I was recovering from a long illness. You may feel extra tired at first. I don't know why - maybe it's just catching up on all that sleep you've been losing. I love my CPAP. I probably need to be re-tested to see if I still need it but I'm in no hurry to get rid of it. 

Like you, I was tested last year to help build my case and add to my co-morbidity list. Sure glad I got tested. Not only was my sleep disturbed about 70 times an hour but I found out I have restless legs. I'm on an RX for the legs. Life is good.

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

MyOwnSunshine
on 8/23/11 10:45 am
I love my CPAP.  After using it for four hours during my sleep study, I felt like a totally different person.  My life is so much better and I have so much more energy now.  I am actually able to exercise and be active on my days off instead of napping.  I can't remember the last time I took a nap, actually.  For me, that's saying something, as I've always been the queen of the nappers.

I'm glad you have a good attitude about CPAP, because it really does increase quality of life and health.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
cancelsbronx
on 8/23/11 3:13 pm - Stamford, CT
I had the take home test for sleep apnea.  It was detected that I have some sleep apnea and tomorrow I go for the overnight sleep study.  Its a pretty messed up illness, I have lost about 120 lbs and I still have it. 

Santos

loverofcats
on 8/24/11 2:20 am
I would never be happy about having sleep apnea. WLS doesn't always cure it, and many skinny have it. ISleep apnea can cause a lot of damage to your body and it can be a bear to get used to the sleep apnea machine. Hopefully, you'll be one of the the lucky ones that WLS will cure the sleep apnea.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views