How was VSG compared to other surgeries you've had? Please be Honest

Robin W.
on 8/27/11 8:03 am - Severn, MD
So I don't mind sharing, I have had quite a few surgeries....

Breast Reduction - 1998 (By far the best! No Pain at all!)

Bunionectomy - 2001 (The worst! Very Painful, Long recovery)

C-Section with tubal ligation - 2007 (Recovery was uneventful, Painful initially) 

Uterine Ablation- 2009 (Recovery was ok)

Hysterectomy and Tummy Tuck (Yes at the same time!  ) 2010
                                                          ( Recovery was Painful, but quick)

VSG Sept.14,2011 (Recovery TBA)

Based on the above, I should be an old pro at this surgery stuff right? NOT!
I am scared you know what less!

So back to my question....how was VSG compared to any other surgery you've had? Thanks in advance for sharing.

Robin    
MTH
on 8/27/11 8:11 am
I have had my gallbladder out, the hard way, opened me up and this by far is 100 times easier.  I was going to garage sales on Fri, after surgery on Mon, discharges on Tues. night.
roundater
on 8/27/11 8:12 am - Lincoln, NE
This has been the only surgery I have had but it went smooth as silk. Only minimal pain (3 at most on the 10 scale) and it was gone in two days. I honestly have had more discomfort going to the dentist than this surgery. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

Crabadams72
on 8/27/11 8:18 am - Silver Spring, MD
I had eye surgery as a teen-didn't feel much.

Tubal ligation in 1997-minimal discomfort

Liposuction 1997-closest to the sleeve in terms of recovery. Also 4 laparoscopic incisions. Minimal pain though.

Sleeve-My surgery was a breeze, I did not have any gas pain. Got up to walk around that evening, I did keep my thumb on the pain pump because I did not want to feel any pain. Just soreness like after you work out at the gym doing a bunch of crunches.

Had Uterine Ablation 2 weeks ago-minimal discomfort.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

sldierswife
on 8/27/11 8:20 am
Hiya

I had three c-sections last one with tubal ligation - rough but after the first one they all went pretty well.

Then I had out patient surgery to have my tubes reversed I was opened up just like a c-section. I cam down with a high fever but I got well fast. Lots and lots of pain out patient will never be a choice for me again.

Then I had one more c- section and it was a breeze

I had vsg in may and I'm still so so so shocked how fast and easy it was for me. I was never in any pain cept gas- when they say walk you walk! Lol

Compared to a c-section this was like getting a shot lol
Gl
 HW 298 SW 281

Robin W.
on 8/27/11 8:26 am - Severn, MD
Ok so this is good stuff to hear. I'm hoping it will be a piece of cake like you all. Not looking forward to any gas pains, or vomitting, but if that's the worse that happens, hey, I'll take it!
Thanks for sharing guys!

Robin    
Prettygia
on 8/27/11 8:33 am - MD
I would compare the surgery to my c section that I had in 2005. The recovery felt a little like that. I am pain tolerant but I would say that it is minimal discomfort after VSG surgery.
[url=http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers.html][img]http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers/uploads/tickers/fd6b1c6abeed7a2.gif[/img][/url]

Robin W.
on 8/27/11 8:55 am - Severn, MD
Hey Lady,

Our surgeon's are in the same office! Did you have your surgery at St. Agnes? If so, how was the staff? Were you in the new part of the hospital? I'm used to Ho. CO. Gen and Mercy bcz I've worked at both, and had all four of my kids at HCGH. I've done agency work at St. Agnes, but I have never been inpatient. Thanks again for the reply!

Robin    
Prettygia
on 8/27/11 9:02 am - MD
Yes I had surgery at St Agnes. The staff was friendly I stayed in the new part of the hospital. They seem like they were in an out of my room every 15 min. Overall it was a nice enviroment.
[url=http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers.html][img]http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-tickers/uploads/tickers/fd6b1c6abeed7a2.gif[/img][/url]

SassyItalian
on 8/27/11 8:38 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
VSG really wasnt that bad, I woke up super nauseous and dry heaving which is not too uncommon. Ask them to pre-medicate you with zofran or another anti-emetic but alot of us wake up nauseous and some vomit blood from the surgery so dont be creeeped out (dry heaving/vomiting/and hiccuping SUCKS after while healing from VSG!). That was probably the worst aspect of the surgery.

By day 4 I was in wal-mart helping my mom with some last minute xmas-eve shopping.

The next worse aspect was the fatigue that hit me and plague me for 4 months after, was pretty tired, some due to low potassium but some due to the normal recovery from a MAJOR operation and hit to the body..

Had the VSG done laparoscopically but never had gas pain from it. at all. and i was dreading that

Had an ovarian cyst removed 4 months after VSG via a c-section incision after removing it via laparoscopy didnt work. The recovery from that was a B*tch!!!!!!!! I was wayyyy more incapacitated from that. And I had terrible internal gas from the attempt with the lap...

So the point is you probably have handled wayyy worse pain, the initial nausea sucks though, ask them for the zofran or phenergan every X amount of hours instead of waiting for the nausea to hit to ward it off....

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 310 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 358 views