how long after surgery does weight go down?

momsy55
on 8/28/11 12:23 am - ME

I had surgery on 8/22.  I know due to fluids, there is an initial weight gain, so I wasn't freaked out.  At this point, all of the excess fluid seems to be gone.    I'm still 3 lbs over pre-op weight.  I'm not freaking out, just wondering.  I have been constipated too, so that may be the problem.  Yesterday, I started having a little diluted prune and apple juices (very little prune as it's so high in carbs).  I know people have used Benefiber, but a friend who was sleeved 3 weeks prior ro me had problems with Benefiber, so I've been a little hesitant.  If the juice doesn't work, I will try it though.  Thanks!  Mary

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

SassyItalian
on 8/28/11 12:29 am, edited 8/28/11 12:31 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
it really is a very individual thing. some people start losing right away from surgery, some are so bloated, full of air and fluid, and constipated so it does not start right away. im guessing the constipation is adding to your problem. you can try colace or peri colace softgels available at any drugstore, take a few a day and it should get things going.

there is no way to say exactly when your individual loss will start but keep in mind that it will soon enough. try not to weigh but once a week and make sure you take measurements!

quick edit- you already started losing pre-op so your initial weight loss may not be as drastic because you are already losing, this wasnt a jumpstart for you, this is more gradual

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

momsy55
on 8/28/11 12:39 am - ME
Thanks for the info and encouragement!  I'm following the Dr.'s plan, although I'm not yet up to the amount of protein, though getting closer each day.  So, I know the weight will come off when it's supposed to.  It's good to know about the pre-op weight loss maybe slowing down the initial post-op, so I don't get discouraged.

Linda B.
on 8/28/11 1:02 am - CA
Constipation...........SMOOTH MOVE TEA! The best stuff for constipation eva!
Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

momsy55
on 8/28/11 2:33 am - ME
I saw that tea in the store yesterday, but never made the connection.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks!

BriarRose
on 8/28/11 12:50 am
For me, I had lost over 30 pounds in the months prior to surgery, on a 1200 cal diet. I started losing weight after the first week was over. However I have never been a fast loser....34 pounds preop, and now 74post op -- but when you add it all up.....it's 108 pounds gone forever !!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
momsy55
on 8/28/11 2:40 am - ME
I'd say 108 lbs. in 7 months is very impressive.  Congratulations!

BriarRose
on 8/28/11 2:49 am
34 pre -op 74 post op total in a year 108!!!
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
September903
on 8/28/11 1:12 am, edited 8/28/11 1:16 am
I was advised by my team at the University of Chicago not to use benefiber, they recommenede Phillips Milk of Magnesia and it works very well and very quickly. I would start with two cup fulls and go from there. As far as the weightloss you should have seen that within the first week. I am wondering if you are taking in enough protein and drinking enough water. And I agree, Smooth Move Tea is excellent. You can find it at Heath stores. Good luck.

momsy55
on 8/28/11 2:39 am - ME
My protein intake hasn't been very high, though it's getting better.  I only had the vanilla flavor of the protein shake I'd been using pre-op, in the house, and couldn't stomach much of it.  I got some chocolate yesterday and am having a much easier time.  I mixed the 2, 1/2 and 1/2 and it was fine.  I am getting lots of fluids, so that part is going right.  My weight has gone down from when I first got out of the hospital.  The constipation had started prior to surgery, although I did relieve that issue my last day in the hospital, but not much since.  I think the juices are starting to kick in, but as soon as the weather improves - we're getting pre-Irene torrential rains right now, I'll get some Smooth Move tea/  Thanks for the support and ideas!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views