What is UP with my TONGUE???

GiGi W.
on 8/29/11 6:02 am
Hi all, I am hoping for some advice.

(FYI I am 4 days post op - sleeved on 8/25/11, no complications, healing is going very well)

My entire mouth feels VERY dry, my tongue feels scratchy, and "coated" ...the taste buds seem weirded out. It's almost the same feeling as when you burn your tongue, but it's all over (And without the pain) It is really affecting my broth (SO tired of DAMN BROTH!!!!!!!..) and drink consumption.

Has anyone else had this? What is it from? Does it go away? When?

Thanks in advance,

Jan G.
on 8/29/11 6:09 am - WI
YESS my tongue was coated WHITE..and made EVERYTHING taste horrible...broth etc. Someone here thought it was "thrush" but nothing else bothered me.. no sore throat or sores in my mouth. I also was not getting enough fluids in..

I would brush my tongue..over and over.. hard..and that coating still would not come off. Finally getting more fluids in.. and switching to soups.. it just came off..whalla!!

Hope this helps some..not sure if yours is the same. BUT yes it affected my taste buds.

Continued good recovery hon.. your OH Friend, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

Smardeepants
on 8/29/11 6:10 am

Hi, YES, I had that. I have heard lots of theories of what it's from, everything from anethesia, to the protein, to the lack of solid food, to thrush (which my Dr. ruled out), to ketosis. Bottom line, no amount of brushing, scraping, or rinsing made it go away.

It started to improve around a month (around the same time as regular food for me, as I was off mushies), but I still have a bit in the very back of my tongue (where I can't get to with a toothbrush).

It will improve, just give it time.

Faye56
on 8/29/11 6:16 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
In the binder of notes that my Dr. gives it says that is from dehydration. Drink more fluids and it should go away. That is what it says anyway. Hope that helps and best wishes on your journey!

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

felicity2u
on 8/29/11 6:20 am - LA
Yes nola girl, 
   Mine was the same way, my teeth also were funky for the first month, almost like I couldn't brush them enough! It will go away with time, I just use to brush my teeth and tongue alot to try to make it a little better.  It will get better! Glad that you are doing well!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

kellypolllitt
on 8/29/11 6:26 am
I had that problem.  After I would try to eat or drink my tongue would feel swollen, hard to swallow, etc.  I would have a lot of spitting after trying to eat.  I finally went to doctor and diagnosed me with thrush caused by a steriod I had been on for poison ivy.  The doctor prescribed a "swish and swallow" and within 2 days it was gone.  Horrible feeling to feel like your tongue and throat were swollen.  Hard to get any food or liquid down at all.  Soooo much better since that went away.  Good luck!
 SW: 312
 CW: 267
 GW: 170

SaminCT
on 8/29/11 6:32 am
I had it too. My surgeon said that it was from all the antibiotics.
VSG - 7/12/2011 with Dr. Gedeon and Dr. Oluwole, Bristol Hospital (CT)
USAF Wife
on 8/29/11 6:33 am
Typically, it's a side-effect of getting into ketosis, and you might notice that other body regions (especially the nether regions/girly bits if you're a girl). Your body pH could be thrown off. I used a tongue scraper and there is no amount of brushing that really helped.

Drink more, use caution using any "special" hygiene products because they could make it worse if you venture down that path.

I felt like I had a penny in my mouth most of the time. I also had a funky body odor, not stinky, just different.

It gets better, and it took about 3-4 weeks for my mouth to regulate back to normal.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

GiGi W.
on 8/29/11 6:42 am
Haha! Well, now that you mention it I *have* noticed that EVERYWHERE is dry. (Ahem!)

I do have a sore throat as well... wondering if I should call the Dr. Or look up thrush indicators.

Thanks for all the replies everyone...this is very very helpful

tripmom02
on 8/29/11 7:33 am - NJ
 Ugh, the body odor, I have worn the same deodorant for years and since surgery it does not work, I don't smell like BO exactly, but just kind of strange. I have tried two other brands of deodorant and it hasn't changed, so I give up for now LOL I guess I will just be a little "off" for a bit.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 129 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 380 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 416 views