Sleeved on Monday 8/29 home yesterday.

Kimchi829
on 8/31/11 1:42 am - PA
Well, I did it. I am sleeved. Went into this with no reservations. Woke up in recovery in terrible pain.  Kept getting Dilaudid to releive the pain and had allergic reaction that made me itch all over.  So they gave me Benadryl on top of that.  Needless to say I was an incoherrent zombie Monday night.   Couldn't stay conscious long enough for my husband and daughter to visit me.  Then came the gas pain and nausea that would not go away. So, more drugs into the system to fight the nausea. Instead of narcotic they gave me an anti-inflammatory which took the edge off but never got rid of the discomfort. My leak test was clear and no problems, but OMG that barium mixture was horrendous and brought back the nausea.  Did not have good sleep Monday night once they backed off the Dilaudid and Benadryl.  By the time I got back from the CT Scan I was exhausted and passed out for two hours. When I awoke I felt better. As the day progressed and I  got to move around I was anxious to go home. By 4:30 Dr. Ceppa stopped by and removed the drain and told me to go home that I was doing better than most.  I have to tell you that I didn't feel that way. Glad the doc thought so.  Made it home without incident and went to bed for three hours. Got up for 1 hour and tried to eat some jello.  WOW.....that was painful.  Every swallow seemed to hurt and I could only get down two teaspoons.  Doc said I had a small portion that was a little tight but he expected that to pop open.  Still having that painful feeling today everytime I swallow.  Hope it pops soon.  This morning was very rough.  Had myself in tears from the pain.  Took some Dilaudid and Benadryl and went to sleep for another four hours.  Got up and showered. Feeling more human and clear headed right now.  Goal today is to sip, walk and try to avoid the pain meds. All in all  I know I complained a bit here, but I don't have any regrets. I know this is going to be a great journey. Any thoughts on how to get rid of the pain and gas?  What did you do to alleviate these symptoms? 

GiGi W.
on 8/31/11 2:00 am
Don't worry about complaining...I think it's important to paint a realistic picture to anyone considering the surgery, or about to have it.

My biggest relief came from walking. I started in the hospital and kept walking every day. It has helped so much with the gas pains.

I too had a bad itching reaction to the pain meds (Lortab) so I had to stop after I left the hospital. I switched to Tylenol for 2 days, and then had nothing after that. (But I don't hesitate to take something...being comfortable is very important during post op)

Good luck with your recovery!

Jerilynk75
on 8/31/11 2:40 am - TX
Kimchi -

I am so sorry - - my story is similar - - but my bad reaction to the dilaudid was that it would make me vomit uncontrollably for hours....even with anti-nausea meds. 

It does get better. II was sleeved 8/24.  The afternoon of 8/25 I finally refused all pain meds - and, yes...it hurt....but not as badly as heaving every 15 minutes!

My surgeon won't let me have jello until week 3...I am on a clear liquid diet right  now...and I think that makes all the difference for me.  I KNOW I couldn't eat any amount of jello successfully at this point..

My first two days at home - it was extremely hard to get my liquids in (because of restriction and gas).  My advice is to walk, walk, walk....and take tiny sips.  My doc gave me a one ounce cup.  I knew to drink it over the course of 10-15 minutes, and now I can gauge my sips better.

Are you on a PPI?  Prevacid solutabs have been fantastic for me...even though my insurance doesn't cover them (nor did it cover any other part of this surgery!)

I am also a big fan of Gas-X strips and Gas-X chewables.  For the first few days, the strips were all I could do....because the chewables made me feel like something was getting stuck in my throat.  But, I keep both with me at ALL times now. 

And, I am now a big fan of Isopure Zero Carb drinks -- each 20oz bottle has 40g of protein...that's my entire daily requirement.  And, to me, it is like drinking Gatorade or Powerade....except much better for me!  I just get the rest of my required fluids from sipping water!   I am allowed clear/light fruit juices...but nothing so far has appealed to me. 

I was in quite a bit of pain (especially when I would sit down, stand up..or try to get up from a prone position.  It did bring me to tears a few times!

Best of luck to you - and can't wait for you to feel better!!!

Mrsk2011
on 8/31/11 4:25 am
Glad to hear ur home and surgery went well..My story is almost exact to urs..I was in soo much pain yesterday i tried jello also and it hurt like hell i called my surgeon in tears and there goes the whole "omg should i have had this surgery"..I balled my eyes out talking to my mom this morning but after ive walked a little, sipped a little, and took a short nap i feel a little better but omg was i regreting it last night and this morning..hope we feel better soon..

Laurie M.
on 8/31/11 4:56 am - KS
You are not complaining at all! You are telling your story and it's important to share the good, the bad, and the ugly. I am surprised however that if you are having a reaction to Dilaudid why your doc has not switched you to a different pain meds. There are several to choose from that fall into different categories that you should not react too depending on your health history. I would certainly speak to him or his nurse about changing the meds. Getting pain relief speeds the healing process. Good luck and keep us posted.

francislicious
on 8/31/11 6:50 am

HI:  I was sleeved on 8/22 and I felt exactly the way you are feeling.  I was discharged from the hospital the following day and on my 3rd I was balling in tears w/the gas pains and nausea feeling.  Thankfully my Dr. sent me nausea meds and I felt better.  But it will get better.  I'm now able to keep everything down, the water and protein shakes and I'm already walking for 30 mins since Monday and also went back to work this past Monday.  I feel great! So just keep trying to sip sip sip every 15 minutes or so and stay hydrated and you'll see in no time you'll be back on track!

Welcome to the LOSER BENCH!!!!  & Hope u feel better!  Keep us posted

Kimchi829
on 9/1/11 1:11 am - PA
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all very much. I knew I wouldn't be the only one with these experiences. I'm grateful that you posted and told me your story and gave me words of encouragment.  I am feeling better today. I have to work on getting more nutrients in me today. Yesterday was a struggle, but I did manage a special K protein shake and about half my water and I even got a pudding down.  Today I'm going for gold to get it all in.  How did everyone cope with the pain of sleeping.  I find lying on my back stretches everything and lying on my side pulls everything.  What did you do?
Again, my complete gratitude for your support and kindness.  Yeah me. I'm on the losers bench and it feels great!
Kim

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 227 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views