Any one use spaghetti squase

twinsand1
on 9/2/11 2:08 pm - SC
 has any one tried this.. had did it turn out and how did you cook it? Is is ok to have or do I need to avoid it?

Angela
08/2006 lapband (Dr. de la garza Mexico)282 lbs
09/2008 emergency band removal (Dr. Givens, SC)132lbs
currently weigh 298 lbs
Sleeved 07/13/2011 Ramos Kelly

OldMedic
on 9/2/11 3:13 pm - Alvaton, KY
I have eaten both regular home made spaghetti sauce, as well as commercial brands of it.  It goes down just fine.

Just don't eat it before you are approved for a general diet, and I would wait till I had lost the vast majority of my excess weight.  Spaghetti is VERY high in carbs, and those are NOT generally approved as the main component of any meal while losing weight.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

CoolBeans
on 9/2/11 3:17 pm - MD
 Do you mean Spaghetti Squash? I have had it. I like it. But have not had it yet post-op. I have been thinking about trying to pick some up, as I trasition to regular food again. 
 Cari    
KathyA999
on 9/2/11 3:17 pm
I use it the same way I used it before surgery, only smaller quantities of course.  Cut in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds & membranes, brush cut sides with olive oil, put on a baking sheet cut sides down, and bake an hour at 350.  Scrape out the "spaghetti strands" with a fork, after it's cooled enough to handle.  I put meatsauce on about a half-cup of the "spaghetti", sprinkle with parmesan, and chow down!

You're fairly early out so certain veg might be harder to tolerate.  Go easy and see how your sleeve reacts. 

Enjoy!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

twinsand1
on 9/2/11 9:43 pm - SC
yes, I meant Spaghetti squash.. had a brain fart...

Angela
08/2006 lapband (Dr. de la garza Mexico)282 lbs
09/2008 emergency band removal (Dr. Givens, SC)132lbs
currently weigh 298 lbs
Sleeved 07/13/2011 Ramos Kelly

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/11 10:52 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I like it, but it's labor intensive for those like me who hate to cook, so we don't have it very often. I find I have to cook it WAY longer than most recipes say in order for it to not be crunchy. I've done it as a side dish with butter and seasonings or with a sweet sort of sauce mixed in (like an apricot glaze made with low-sugar ingredients), and I've done it as a replacement for actual spaghetti noodles. It is NOT a perfect pasta replacement because the texture is different, but it's still good, and when you top it with lots of meat and cheese (protein!) and a low-sugar sauce, it can totally at least fulfill the craving for Italian. I make my sauce so think with meat that it's practically more meat than sauce! And then top with lots of shredded Italian cheeses to melt...dammit, now I may have to make some on Monday (hurray for an extra day off!).
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views