What I have done?

RigbyMom
on 9/3/11 5:54 am - AL
I am 3 1/2 months out and for the last few days I have been really missing "meals".  You know, being able to eat some meat and sides.  Being able to eat a hamburger with the bun.  Being able to eat a PB&J for breakfast.
I am not regreting the surgery, but I am missing being able to enjoy food.  Does that make sense?  Just to be able to have more than meat for a meal.  Some days you want more than 5-6 bites.
I guess you could say I am going through a second mourning of food.  It was tough in first few weeks with the emotional withdrawl from food.  I just wasn't expecting it to hit again.
Anyone else feel this way sometimes?  Missing the "old times" of a traditional meal.  Having a meat and 3, as we call it in the south!

Dawnie 88
on 9/3/11 6:32 am
Most definitely!! I still do miss being able to have a larger portion at times.  I also went through a little bout of depression from 4-6 mths postop..because of that very thing..AND the fact that i just didn't know 'who i was' anymore.  At that point i had lost 100 lbs..and it was all happening so fast. 

But yes..I still miss certain foods.  I really miss being able to just bite into a big juicy burger..and enjoy it.  BUT....I will take my life now any day!!

BetterMe711
on 9/3/11 6:37 am - SC
I can so identify! I'm only 6 weeks out and sometimes forget everything is different now. Even to just be able to eat without having to plan, chart, etc. I'm glad I did it though.
(deactivated member)
on 9/3/11 6:48 am, edited 9/3/11 7:48 am
((((hugs)))))
kalimamasmom
on 9/3/11 6:49 am
Yes, you can have a meal...just smaller!
I do watch my carbs very closely, however, if I want to eat a slice of pizza with my family, I make sure it is loaded with good protein and veggies, and we go for thin crust.  I eat a small square, and maybe just some toppings from another piece.
We grill up burgers, and I eat mine with the thin, 100 Calorie bun.  And the truth is, I will eat a bite or two with the bun, and then it doesn't taste as good as I thought it would, or feel good on my tummy, so I throw it out.
PB & J...use light bread,  and cut it into quarters.  Use sugar free jelly.
There are small things you can do to make the foods you want easy on your tummy and new way of eating.
I feared for myself that if I totally abstained, I would eventually binge.  Now I let myself eat what my family is eating, and making healthier choices.  I don't feel deprived one single day, I keep my carbs around 60grams per day, except the 2 or 3 days per week that I choose a bun or a small piece of bread or a triscuit with my cheese.  And then my carbs still stay under 100.  I am still losing more than most according to my NUT and I feel great!
Please, don't deprive yourself, but just make more healthy choices on some of the foods you crave!  I hope that helps a little, anyway!

RigbyMom
on 9/3/11 7:02 am - AL
thank you!!!!  I needed to hear what you said! 
Little_Toto
on 9/3/11 6:57 am
I too miss eating larger meals at times, but then I get freaked out when I eat more than I thought I'd be able to. Gah....I get really freaked out about being able to eat too much and gaining my weight back. Does this fear make sense?
RigbyMom
on 9/3/11 7:05 am - AL
It makes TOTAL sense!  That is the same conversation that my hubby and I just had.  I want to be able to eat more, but then I am scared to death to be able to eat more.  I want to be able to enjoy food every now and then, but I don't want to do it too much!  It is a constant yo-yo of finding balance.  I have never had balance when I comes to food....reason why I had to have the surgery to face the demon.  I am an all or nothing kind of girl.  Never have been able to figure out moderation!!
RigbyMom
on 9/3/11 7:00 am - AL
Thanks everybody!  I just needed to know that these emotions were normal!  I am constantly reminding myself that it is a marathon, not a sprint.  I did need to hear that I can't always deny myself.  But to make smart choices.  Thanks for the encouragement!

frisco
on 9/3/11 10:50 am

It took me about a full six months to know I was over the whole big plate eating thing.....

You just have to realize those thoughts that you are having......are what got you/us fat !!!!

One of the things I have learned/preach is to have a new healthier non-abusive relationship with food.

It's about quality over quantity.........

I am more interested in food now more than ever !!!!!

Here is an awesome low carb burger made using low carb lavash bread for a bun....tasty !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op