Favourite Protein Tips

Cindi A.
on 9/4/11 7:52 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12
 Although I'm early in the game re: to surgery or not to surgery, I've been thinking I can still highly benefit from the raising the protein in my diet, (constantly struggling carb addict here).

So who would like to share their best wisdom on how to get all that protein in that appears to be a huge requirement of success post-surgery?  (My plan is to add these tips to my blog for future reference as well, so hope no one minds that.)

I've already ecome a greek yogurt convert, thanks to my friend who had surgery, and others on this forum, so I'm eager to see what else I can learn!! Tips, recipes...anything is welcome.

Thanks, in advance!

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

Elaine2
on 9/4/11 8:26 am - Atlanta, GA
I would do two things first-----

First---I'd find a tracking system and start keeping your daily stats. Like myfitnesspal, livestrong, fitday, etc. You'll be able to determine how much protein, carbs, cals, etc that you're getting now----regardless of your current eating habits. A bonus is that you'll be in the habit if you progress with WLS. If you don't do WLS, you'll still benefits from seeing your daily intake.

Second---To get in more protein, I would do a shake at some point in the day. Maybe when you get those 3PM munchies or breakfast (if you skip it now). Find a protein powder you like (or can tolerate) and make a good shake. Here's some recipes.
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-fa vorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

Good luck in your research an decision-making.

Cindi A.
on 9/4/11 9:47 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12
 I joined myfitnesspal.com about a week ago, and you're very right, I can't imagine being able to do any successful weight loss without a tracking system. We're very good at being self-delusional about our food intake!

Thanks for the recipe link. I think protein shakes are going to become part of my daily life from here on. It just makes sense. Now to find one I can tolerate. LOL
Smardeepants
on 9/4/11 9:55 am
I couldn't agree more with trying recipes from the eggface blog. My family is having tortilla pizza for dinner, and protein donuts for dessert later. Yesterday they had protein waffles for breakfast. Seriously, these foods are even non-op friendly!

I eat protein ice cream almost DAILY and love it.

I agree, find a protein you enjoy. Don't go crazy buying a ton, though... many people have their tastes change after surgery and are left with protein they can no longer tolerate.

Try buying from a place that will allow no-hassle returns if you don't like it (vitamin shoppe, sam's (I've done it personally), costco, etc. I've also ordered samples from vitalady.com... around $2 per sample, but a great way to try quite a few different ones.

You can search here for favorites... to at least get you started in the right direction.

Good luck! 

Cindi A.
on 9/4/11 10:49 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12
 Protein donuts! Protein Ice Cream! Now that's intriquing!! I'm sold on trying out a few of those recipes. Getting samples to try sounds like the smart way to go. Thanks!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 406 views