Killer Crabcake Recipe

svelteNgorgeous
on 9/12/11 1:39 pm, edited 9/12/11 1:54 pm
If you love crabcakes like I do, you've probably been disappointed ordering it out. I have been underwhelmed many times so I don't order it out any more. At the risk of sounding immodest, I must say that I've never had a better crabcake than I make at home with this recipe. The following recipe is outrageously delicious and top secret but I share it here with you, my OH family. Very simple to make and indescribably delicious. Did I say they are delicious? Be careful though when you make these for guests they will be asking you to be invited back.

1 lb Jumbo Lump Crab meat (about $20 at Costco)
1.5 cups oyster crackers, crushed but not too fine
1 cup mayonaise
2 tbs Gray Poupon dijon mustard
1/4 cup Franks hot sauce (or to taste)
2 Tbs Old Bay seasoning
1/4 cup each of red and yellow peppers, finely diced
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste

Open the can, pour off the liquid (don't rinse crab in water), place in a large bowl, gently pick out any cartilage that may be in the lump crab being careful not to break up the lumps.

Saute the peppers in olive oil until slightly softened.

In a seperate bowl combine the mayo, dijon, hot sauce, salt and pepper and lemon juice and whisk together. Reserve half the mixture and add the Old Bay to the remaining portion. I transfer the reserved portion to a plastic squeeze bottle for use in presentation.

Add sauteed peppers and the remaining wet mixture to the lump crab, including the egg. Add in the oyster cracker crumbs until the consistency tightens but remains moist. Be careful to fold together the ingredients gently to preserve the consistency of the lump crab.

Use a scoop to make consistant 3 oz portions. Heat olive oil and butter in a saute pan over medium heat and saute the crab cakes until crispy on both sides and heated through.

Present two crab cakes on a plate and squeeze a few lines of the reserved mixture over the cakes.

YUMMM! You will love these and your guests will be WOWed.

We have a friend who says to my wife that she loves her as much as my crabcakes :-)

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

thethinme
on 9/12/11 1:44 pm - NY
love them and been disappointed indeed. bookmarking this to try. thanks for sharing the secret recipe, very noble of you! but we are all a family like you said, after all ;)

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

edelu
on 9/12/11 1:46 pm - los angeles, CA
I love crab and just bought some today so I'm on it looks delish.  One question did you mean the egg is scrambled (as in cooked) before adding or did you mean to say beaten?  Thanks in advance
svelteNgorgeous
on 9/12/11 1:54 pm
I do mean beaten. I'm just a home cook not a chef :-)

edelu
on 9/12/11 1:56 pm - los angeles, CA
I meant no offense.  It simply sounded off to me and i wanted to make sure before i did it. again thank you.
svelteNgorgeous
on 9/12/11 2:00 pm
No offense taken. You are absoultely right. As soon as I saw your post I said to myself duh!!! Thanks for pointing it out, I don't think scrambled egg crabcakes would be very appetizing.

frisco
on 9/12/11 3:14 pm

Hey Svelte,

I'm gonna try this next time........

My last crabecakes......Well.....sucked ass !!!!

Made them look good....I think I was missing old bay and the lemon........

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Mommy2Girls
on 9/12/11 10:46 pm
YUM! Thanks for sharing!

Although I don't do mayo (at all!) I'm wondering if sour cream or plain greek yogurt would work. That is usually my sub for mayo.
-8lbs lost during the 6 month insurance hoop jumping,
the rest is since surgery.

svelteNgorgeous
on 9/12/11 11:24 pm
I'm sure that would work Mom, its in there more to give a creamy consistency than add flavor. I'd try a 50/50 mixture of sour cream/greek yogurt. Hope you try the recipe, I think you'll love it. Let us know how it turns out.

shunt1960
on 9/12/11 11:27 pm
VSG on 04/28/10 with
I'm trying it this weekend. I love me some crabcakes...Thank you for sharing your now not so secret recipe.
SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views