Emotional eater question

PreopGal
on 9/13/11 5:31 am - GA
Im pre op and worried about how I will handle life post op. I'm an emotional eater and get through tough times bingeing and eating anything I like for comfort. Can anyone tell me how they coped with this situation post op?
Thank you
PreOp Gal    
joie_de_sleeve
on 9/13/11 5:38 am - IN
I'm still coping.

It helps, at least in the intial phases, that you physically cannot eat like you used to. I ate too much once and it hurt. Won't do that again. Not having the option forces you to sit with your feelings until you come to realize they pass, or you find a proactive way to deal. It also helps that I'm continuing in counseling.

VSG 7/26/11

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

PreopGal
on 9/13/11 5:40 am - GA
Thanks
PreOp Gal    
jennifer K.
on 9/13/11 5:46 am - OH
I haven't been sleeved for a super long time or anything - but I was surprised by how different food tastes/smells then it did pre-op. I guess I just got lucky that I just have no desire to eat most of the time and have to remind myself to eat. You physically can't eat alot and sometimes it gets frustrating when you can't finish a 2 oz piece of chicken - because it looks like so little. You will do great and your relationship with food will change - and if you still have issues post-op.. well that is what the psychologist is for
Jennifer
HW:330, Class W: 300  SW: 279 (7/13)
1m: 257 - 22 lbs/ 2m: 241 - 17 lbs/ 3m 231 - 10 lbs/ 4m  221 - 10 lbs/ 5m 210 -11lbs

fypcdqt
on 9/13/11 5:48 am - Cumming, GA
I never knew how much head hunger I had preop until I had to deal with it post op.  I am not physically hungry 2 weeks out from surgery, but boy do I want food!  I understand it's all in my head, and it is a lot harder to give in when it physically hurts to eat too much.  One day I thought I was hungry for potatoes, and since it was on my plan, I made 1/4 C mashed potatoes but I should have stopped half way through.  I was stressed and tired, and I wanted to eat all of them because it felt good.  When I was finished, it hurt so bad I didn't move for an hour.  I may be off mashed potatoes for the rest of my life from that one over indulgence.  

I think it would be a huge advantage to start identifying your emotional eating and head hunger issues pre-op so you have skills to handle them post-op.

Best of luck!

USAF Wife
on 9/13/11 6:20 am
Learning new coping mechanisms is the only sure fire way to ensure long term success. Initially, your will have amazing restriction, couple of months out, you'll be able to eat more, at a year out, you'll be able to eat double the amounts. Sucking down a 2000 calorie milkshake is not impossible.

Counseling with behavioral modification is the best recommendation/suggestion for people with true emotional and compulsive eating habits that need to be changed. The sleeve will only do so much. Krispy Kreme donuts go down just fine without any issue so no amount nor any of the surgery choices will stop those behaviors or carbs/sugar/calories for the long haul.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 9:56 am
Thank goodness the Krispy Kreme's all closed here LOL! *wink*
injeneral
on 9/13/11 6:56 am
Therapy. Definitely.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/11 9:54 am
It is easier in the beginning, but not going to lie, it will be something you deal with life long.

Just about a month ago I found myself having head cravings for sweets. On a couple of occasions (maybe 3?) I ate like one or two bites of something. I find that it doesn't taste the same, i cannot explain that but it doesn't.

However I knew quickly that it would lead down a bad path so I just had to tell myself "you don't live that life anymore".

I'm sitting here at work, my all time favorite cookies ever (those stupid soft sugar cookies with colored frosting from the bakery) and brownies are sitting here. I've walked past them 10 times and haven't even looked at them. I just know if I even look at them or think about them it's over.

You have to see this as a complete overhaul and that the "old you" will be replaced with the "new you". Your tool (sleeve) makes it much easier in the beginning, then as time wears on you have to find a way to work through it as old habits attempt to return.

A book my therapist has me reading "mindfulness of eating" is a good one to start with. And if it is raelly hard, go see someone. My therapist started as my divorce therapist, now he's become my food therapist LOL. Kind of not really but in a way he has and he does specialize in eating disorders so I got lucky.

Just relax, be patient and be aware.
Eileen36
on 9/13/11 10:13 am - PA
Emotional eating was how I ended up obese. I'd been working on it with a therapist, but couldn't seem to make any progress regarding weight loss, even though I understood why I was making the choices. After the surgery, however, things changed for me. I was able to put into practice all the things I had discussed with a therapist because, for the first few months at least, food in any real quantity was off the table - literally. This helped me develop new habits. For me, it's exercise. I do still get the cravings when I'm having unpleasant emotions, but, even though the idea to eat crosses my mind, it's not a compulsion anymore. I would agree that seeing a therapist (if financially possible) helps. Good luck.
Eileen

Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 6/8/12!! - LBL, BL/BA, Arm Lift & Medial Thigh Lift             
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views