Trying to decide, please help,,,,,

Sharon G.
on 9/13/11 10:02 am - Middlesex County, NJ
Hello all,
I'll try to make this short and sweet..I had lap band 4.5 years ago, lost over 100 pounds, feel fabulous, had a lower body life 3 years ago... Up until 5 weeks ago I was a size 4... You ask what happened, I had to have emergency surgery to have my band removed due to a slippage of the band....I am now on this revision journey to decide which procedure I want.. I had the band, but the original band, not the realize band....My surgeon said the sleeve is much easier and you can eat ANYTHING...Is he correct? What are the effects of the sleeve, how does your life change...I know with the band mine changed totally... Please, if you all can help me with some of my questions and anything else you think I might not have asked, please let me know...I have an appointment this Thursday...Wish me luck....

USAF Wife
on 9/13/11 10:36 am
1) Instant, constant, permanent restriction, no fills/unfills

2) Loss of physical hunger due to ghrelin being removed along with the fundus

3) No food restriction, literally I really do eat anything and everything I want, and that was just not possible with the band (tonight for dinner I had Thai food, Pad On Green, Cabbage, Sprouts, Broccoli, Chicken and about 1/8cup of the steamed rice, and half of a spring roll) I would have never been able to eat that with my band. So yeah, he's correct.

4) My life changed tremendously. I am still to this very day (27 months out, 8 months pregnant) never physically hunger, I still have amazing restriction, I eat in smaller portions, and am satisfied with my portion size. I currently eat between 1700-1800 calories a day in the pregnancy, in maintenance at 125-130lbs, I eat about 1200-1500 calories a day.

5) There is no puking, sliming, food getting stuck, foaming, productive burping with the sleeve. I experienced all of that with the band.

I only had the band 8 months, and you couldn't pay me to have another put back in. Once you have a band, and getting another one, typically results in more issues especially if you've suffered a slip.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

candyturbo
on 9/13/11 11:26 am
 I can't add much more of value than what the last poster said. That was very well said and I agree. I will say that I have vomited once, but more because I ate too much and wanted to than that I had to. The only other drawback I have experienced is that I get air in my stomach and esophagus and it can benoisy sometimes in quiet places. Not bad really, but you know how you feel when your stomach growls out loud in public? It's like that. If it isa really quiet place and it happens several times it is embarassing. It may be that I am eating too fast, I am not sure. But that is SUCH a small issue it is hardly worth mentioning.

I am only 9 weeks out but my results have been great. I can eat anything I want as well, but of course less. It feels good to be able to just eat a reasonable amount and to be full. I don't have to miss any one thing because I am intolerant of it. I still stay away from bread/pasta carbs and high sugar items (I still have a lot to lose), but I do still enjoy most other foods. It is interesting though that at 9 weeks out my appetite is really different. At first I was still hungry, but now I have to be conscious of when it is time to eat and eat even if I am not hungry. That happens about 50% of the time but the other 50% I experience what I consider a "normal" hunger and I can eat something small and be satisfied.

I did research and talked to people with bands and RNY for years. I am so glad I waited until the sleeve was a more common procedure to have the WLS done. I was considering the band before and now I am glad I was sleeved.
HW 254, Start WLS Program-246, Surgery-239, CW-209, Goal-150 (or better)       
SassyItalian
on 9/13/11 11:57 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
all i can tell you is i absolutely love my sleeve. food doesnt make me sick. i eat small portions. i lose weight. theres no maintenance required, no doctor visits, no getting sick after fills..

the sleeve rocks. plain and simple!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Sharon G.
on 9/15/11 1:28 pm - Middlesex County, NJ
 Great, Great new....Went to see the dr. today, same one that told me I can't have a revision, well now he said he will do it..Im so excited but nervous at the same time....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views