Has anyone had to lose a significant amount of weight before surgery?

ijustwantmylifeback
on 9/14/11 9:12 am
I'm talking 100+ pounds?  I met with the surgeon yesterday (much sooner than I expected, but that's saved for a blog post, hahaha) and he said I'm a perfect candidate for this, but I need to go on a very low calorie diet and lose at least 125 pounds before surgery.  They want me to this because of the weight limits on the cat scan machines (if something were to happen during/after surgery). 

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has had to do this?  I know that typically they make you lose a small amount of weight before surgery (with the liquid diet usually), but I've yet to see someone whose had to lose over 100 pounds before surgery.  If you had to lose a lot of weight before surgery, how long did it take you?

I meet with a physicians assistant (to go over my blood work and EKG) and the dietician (to be told what my very low calorie diet will consist of) at the end of the month.  It just seems odd to me, that nothing like this was mentioned to me before this point about weight limits and what not. 
HogRider
on 9/14/11 9:37 am - Jacksonville, FL
They do make a CT scanner you stand-up in. The hospital may not have one, but this seems excessive to me. You didn't mention your weight, but I would call the hospital or look online to see the weight/room clearance on the machine.
acbbrown
on 9/14/11 10:02 am - Granada Hills, CA
Try finding a surgeon that's connected with a hospital that can accomodate obese patients - 125 lbs is kind of crazy BEFORE surgery. I know there are hospitals that have newer equipment that can accomodate higher weight limits.

But, I did manage to lose 85 lbs in about 10 months before surgery - I didn't have to, but I chose to so that I could make my life easier post-op and reduce my risk of complications. I did that on a  1500-1800 cal, well rounded diet and exercise. It's not easy, but definitely well worth it.

What's the normal weight limit? I have a CT scan in the morning and now I'm freaked out that i'm too big :-./

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

BuckeyeGirl
on 9/14/11 10:22 am - TN
Alison, that is the old 400+ lb girl in your mind who is freaking out...285 should be well under the weight limit. I would guess the lowest weight limit would be 300 lbs and that the majority are more likely something like 350.

Lindsey

acbbrown
on 9/14/11 11:10 am - Granada Hills, CA
True, I'm sure I'll be fine. I have to laugh though because when I had a heart scan pre-op, the technician had to use tape to squeeze all my fat in so I'd fit in the machine. That was a horrifying moment that came back once I started thinking about the CT scan.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ijustwantmylifeback
on 9/14/11 1:35 pm
Congrats on your success before surgery and currently...AWESOME!!!  :)

I do know the hospital I will be most likely be at (my doctor is connected with two and as far as I know he prefers the one I prefer) does have a good bariatric department and is considered a Center of Excellence, it's just odd to me that they wouldn't have a machine that holds higher weights or like the above poster said...have a stand up one, although I guess if something happens and you can't stand up that may be a problem.

I don't know what the weight limit is on *regular* ones, but the one the bariatric department uses has a weight limit of 450 and he said they could fudge that a bit, probably up to 500.

Don't freak out, you'll be just fine!!!
Sk8rmom
on 9/14/11 10:12 am
I was told to go on a reduced calorie diet (1400) before surgery -- this is in addition to the liquid diet I will need to do the 5 days prior to surgery. I was not told how much to lose though. I agree that 125 lbs sounds excessive.
J.e.t.
on 9/14/11 10:39 am
 I did go to the information seminar for a local surgeon, and he had a requirement that you lose 20% of your excess weight before surgery.  I found a new surgeon. ;-)

That being said, I took a peek at your story in your profile--it looks like you've been seriously overweight since early in childhood?  I'm wondering if you've at least considered the Duodenal Switch?  It's likely you may have some metabolic stuff going on, and the DS is more effective for that.  Also, it *may* be tougher for you to get to goal with the VSG alone.  

There have been many people here who started at higher weights and have done great, but I just thought I'd mention it.  Best of luck!

HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

ijustwantmylifeback
on 9/14/11 1:45 pm

The didn't mention anything about this in any of the documents I have from them, at the seminars or the video I watched, nor did they say anything in any of the appointments I've had or the meeting I went to Monday night (which was more a support group thing and there was a gentleman there that was definitely over 450), so I don't know if it's just my doctor or if they're testing me to see if I will follow the rules since I have had success on my own in the past, but I have always gained it back and usually then some.  He wants to see me six weeks after I start the very low calorie diet to see how I'm doing...so I don't know?  I was so stunned by him telling me that (because I have personally known people who have been over 500 pounds who have had surgery), that I forgot to ask a lot of questions, but I guess there's plenty of time for that, hahaha.

I have struggled with my weight on and off throughout my life, but nothing as bad as the past 7 years or so.  I have considered the DS, but it's not covered under my insurance so it's a no go for me right now.  And actually my doctor says he would prefer me to go with the RNY (because of my higher starting weight), but depending on what happens when I get closer to 450 we can go from there.  He said he may start with the sleeve and once I get to 350 fini**** with a gastric bypass.  He said that while they have had some patients who've had great success with the sleeve alone at high weights, it's not always the case.

Thank you for your insight and support.

VintageChick
on 9/14/11 10:42 am, edited 9/14/11 10:43 am

My surgeon requires a 10% loss.  For me that's about 30 pounds.

EDIT to add, I agree with the above post regarding the DS.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views