It is amazing how our thoughts change about ourselves when we lose weight...

judyalbertson
on 9/15/11 4:24 am
Over the years I have been fat and I have been normal, weight-wise.  I have experienced discrimination and lack of respect when I've been fat.  I've experienced a lot of attention from men when I've been thin.  Men fall over themselves sometimes when they are attracted to you.  I watch at my work how the doctors flirt with the young, cute nurses.  I was there about 25-30 years ago.  Now, I am the more "mature" nurse who is appreciated for her experience, but the docs seek out the young nurses to chat with.  I have to say that I enjoyed the days when I was one of the "cute" nurses...it helps the self-esteem. 
So, now I am heading down the scale and beginning to get back some confidence.  I have been married for 21 years to a great guy who has loved me alll along and never says anything bad about me.  Ii was 147 when I got married and right now i am 180.  I hope to get down to 130ish to be at my best healthy wt.  My husband is proud of me for taking on this serious adventure.  He has watched me diet over the years only to gain back the wt. 
My dreams are even changing as I gain confidence.  I've dreamt about old boyfriends who I dated when I was thin.  I have worried about running into them with this extra weight and being embarrassed.  Now, in my dreams I am thin and confident.  It is amazing that my confidence sinks into my sub-consious.
This is a wonderful journey for me to find the real me.  I feel so fortunate to have gotten the VSG and I'm on the road to a healthy body and mind.

dollyctimeforme
on 9/15/11 5:13 am
Good morning I enjoyed your story and being a nurse can relate.  Know matter your age or where you are in life, you have worked very hard getting an education & being a nurse. A career in nursing is very rewarding  but at imes it can be emotional and physically draining.  Thats the trade-off. But I'll take it all." That  being said it 's time for YOU to get healthy we know with out our health we truly have nothing.  This is a interesting journey for me and it is different for each one of us. It makes you take a look at your eating habits and  face the  real reasons we are eating. I am still in training about 50lbs to go.  It is a life style change our sleeves are a tool but a great one. I have no regrets.  Wishing you much success and happiness in this new chapter of life.  Sincerely Dolly
judyalbertson
on 9/15/11 10:55 am
Thank you so much, Dolly!
Angela919
on 9/15/11 9:53 am - WI
I know what you mean about self-esteem.  I am down 3 sizes since my surgery & wearing jeans I haven't worn in 4 years....and I feel on top of the world right now!     I have noticed that I am walking differently and have been holding my head up, something I haven't done in the last few years.   I catch my husband taking second looks at me, smiling more, and being more playful (as well as had a few men flirt with me.)  In turn, that pumps up my self-esteem, knowing my hubby's getting back those flirty & fun thoughts towards me because of my improved appearance. There is not a price in this world that can be put on a feeling of self-worth and self-esteem.  I thank God that He gave surgeons the ability to learn, understand, and perform WLS, as there are so many people who are regaining a meaningful life as a result.

Good luck to you on your journey!

Highest:  278       Surgery Day:   251       Goal:  140    
judyalbertson
on 9/15/11 10:55 am

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views