Carbs ?

CindyLyn
on 9/20/11 12:16 pm, edited 9/20/11 12:17 pm - Evadale, TX
How many carbs do you try to stay under each day?   Today I was checking out protein bars and geez louise those things are loaded.   I haven't been journeling my food but I am gonna start tomorrow.  I have been at them same weight for two weeks...(the three week stall) so I really want to keep on top of what I am eating.

Revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve.  August 16, 2011

roundater
on 9/20/11 12:21 pm - Lincoln, NE
I try to shoot for 40 carbs per day. You are right - most protein bars that I have found have a lot of carbs in them. I like low fat cheese sticks or beef jerky for a snack. They have few if any carbs and are a good source of protein.
Rich Sonderegger

Elaine2
on 9/20/11 12:24 pm - Atlanta, GA

I think planning and recording are 2 of the most important factors to success, IMHO. This is the perfect time to start---just when your getting to regular food. Lots of choices for recording including myfitnesspal, livestrong, even here on OH. Only takes a few minutes a day once you're set up.

Carbs??--my plan says stay under 40 but I keep it under 30. That's total carbs.
While protein bars are convenient and sometime really good, they're a killer on the carb count!!!
You'll get more mileage out of a protein shake.

CindyLyn
on 9/20/11 12:49 pm - Evadale, TX
Thank you so much!!   I have been confused about carbs.  I am using the Realize My Sucess site to log my food choices... I just need to get serious  about it.

Revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve.  August 16, 2011

Rouxful
on 9/20/11 12:46 pm, edited 9/20/11 12:47 pm
 30-40 is generally the magic number. 40 was my limit for my pre-op diet, but I was already keeping it under 30, per my nutritionist for months leading up to my surgery, so the two weeks leading up to my surgery I just kept on eating what I had been.

Most protein bars are for building muscle, not losing weight. The problem is protein products are aimed at two different sets of people: The bodybuilders who want to bulk up with MENERGY...and those of us who want to do a low-carb diet. Unfortunately, the ratio is about 75-25. Finding low-carb protein bars usually involves ordering online. Atkins makes some really tasty bars, but they're hard on the wallet. 

HW 403 / SW 372 / CW 204 / GW 199    

acbbrown
on 9/20/11 1:15 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Id say my avg daily carbs are 60ish. When I have a heavy workout, maybe 70-80 max. I can't do this under 40 low carb thing but I only eat healthy carbs and always get 80+ g of protein/day. I'm satisfied with my weight loss without the super low carb thing.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 2:55 pm
During my losing phase, my doctor asked me to stay under 40 carbs a day and over 65 g. of protein.  He also wanted me to stay in the 600-800 calorie range until goal.  I lost 93 lbs. in 6.5 months and reached goal.  I wish you the same success.
infodiva808
on 9/20/11 3:46 pm
I found that a chicken sausage link had just as many grams of protein (20) as a protein bar and few carbs. Early out I could not finish one.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views