an unexpected change from the sleeve - story

dragon1
on 9/22/11 1:11 am - NY
Yesterday, a co-worker chewed me out, causing much stress. 

She was somewhat right in her point  - My office is next to hers, and people often stand by my door talking to her.  I chimed in a suggestion on something they were talking about, which she felt was intrusive and unwelcome. Fine, point noted, won't happen again.

But, the way she communicated her issue was not acceptable.  She marched into my office, and, in a loud stridant tone, ordered me to stop, told me that I had done this repeatedly, said she couldn't believe I was be so rude, and it better not happen again.

Being highly conflict averse, I apologized, then stewed all night.  I beat myself up, felt like a horrible person who was obviously disliked by all, and totally rude and socially clueless.  (Objectively not true, but you know how the mind can be). 

Then , I got mad.  I realized that I have chimed in maybe 5 times in the last two years, she spends upwards of two hours per day with people standing right outside my office talking while I am working on spreadsheets.  And, she never let me know this was a problem, so I had no reason to stop the behavior. 

Upon reflection, I added this outburst to examples of her past behavior, and came to the conclusion that while she can often be very social and pleasant, she is not actually a nice person.  And, I will adjust my dealings with her to lessen our interaction.

Before the sleeve?  I would have apologized, beat myself up, binged on chocolate or pasta to feel better, and put things out of my mind with no deeper reflection, and nothing learned.  The sleeve - operate on your stomach, change your mind :)
VSG on May 9, 2011.  HW: 217.  SW: 206.  CW: 144 as of 12/22/11.
MyOwnSunshine
on 9/22/11 1:20 am
Good for you!  That's a very meaningful change.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Birdie55
on 9/22/11 1:25 am
Good for you. !!!

You might also ask her to invite the chatters into her office so they don't continue to disturb your work.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

(deactivated member)
on 9/22/11 1:52 am
GOOD FOR YOU!!! IT feels good to stand up for yourself.

I had a employee a few weeks ago come up the the front desk and in front of patients yelled at me and was completely un-professional- than she had the never to go complain to our boss about ME! He completely took my side and reprimanded her. I thought we were friends-I have pet sit ted for her many times and we have gone out to dinner and stuff so I could not believe how she treated me. I was SO upset all day- it really really bothered me- this was a Fri all weekend it was bothering me by Monday when I got into work I just ignored her-I was so pissed off with her- how dare she treat me that way! So other than work talk- as much as she tried to be all nice and talkative I refused to deal with her unless it was work related. The next day she came up to the desk and said I am really sorry for how I acted the other day. I looked at her and said OK..thank you. She made a face and in a snotty voice said- WELL YOU DON'T HAVE TO EXCEPT MY APOLOGY! I said Apology accepted thank you. 

THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS GOING TO APOLOGIZE TO HER. The old me would of been like OH-it's OK I'm sorry too- but I didnt do anything wrong! The old me would forgive someone like that telling them it was OK they treated me like **** WELL NOT THE NEW ME! NO MORE! I will NOT allow people to walk on me! It is NOT OK to treat me the way you did.

It's very hard to stand up for yourself- I am learning-it's hard but damn it feels so good!!!
vacationlover
on 9/22/11 2:05 am
Yay you!!!!

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Paige V.
on 9/22/11 2:08 am, edited 9/22/11 2:08 am - Gainesville, FL
good for you, shesounds like the rude one!

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

anninva
on 9/22/11 2:34 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
go! go! go!!!  so proud of you.  i still have all those worthless feelings, but you're right -- virtually no comfort eating!!

think you were totally right on both counts.  bravo!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Krazydoglady
on 9/22/11 3:11 am - FL
I'm glad you're not beating/eating yourself up.  JMO, you shouldn't have apologized in the first place, but that's me. If someone is having a 'hallway' meeting in your doorway, they are intruding on your workspace.  To suggest they should be able to do so and you merely sit there like a peice of furniture is degrading, and frankly, tremendously direspectful.  Second, a co-worker has no business chewing you out, ever. 

There's a reason I work in manufacturing and in a plant rather than corporate office.  I have zero tolerance for that kind of crap. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

LaughingCow
on 9/22/11 3:36 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
I agree with what everybody has said, and I will add that it would be perfectly acceptable to ask her to bring her chatters into her office or to speak up to the chatter and say, "Would you mind taking your conversation into [*****'s office?" 
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
DragonGirl
on 9/22/11 4:36 am - MN
If this little BS/coffee clutch happens again, calmly stand up and ask the offenders to please move, and gently shut your door. My assumption is, they'll get the point.

Actions can speak a million decibels louder than words.
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 114 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 338 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 387 views