Water retention, constipation, insufficient fluids and your weight

jbskaggs
on 9/24/11 3:07 am - holt, MO
 The human body is a strange chemically driven organic machine. Discovering your ACCURATE  weight is difficult.  Because even though you may be losing weight, your body maybe flushing your muscles, lower extremeties, or subcutaneous skin layers with water.  Up to twenty pounds worth in extreme cases (such as heart failure).  But you will find that exercise can make the scales appear to freeze in place as your body reatins water in the muscles.  It does this as a reaction to the lactic acid build up in the muscles so that it can eventually wash the acid out.

Oddly enough even though exercise may trigger water retention, long periods of sitting will also cause water to retain in the legs, as well as raise risk of stroke.  Particularly if the person is obese.

For me the water builds in my lower legs due to vascular disease. So that my scales maybe off by eight pounds on a bad day if I do not keep the water retention under control.

Another strange weight issue is constipation / compaction that occurs when we do not have regular bowel movements (usually due to insufficient fluid and fiber intake) and as a result can be carry an extra lbs to ten pounds in extreme cases in our large intestines.

The last thing what might seem a paradox is insufficient fluids- which cause us to retain fluids particularly in the abdomen and extremeties.  The blood actually thickens and you become at more risk for strokes as well as gout like attacks in feet and hands. (from uric acid retention).

So to have the best accuracies in your weight- you need to take into consideratin these factors and  work to keep yourself well hydrated, regular, and active.

JB

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 3:11 am
Great post JB!
Happy966
on 9/24/11 3:13 am

Yes, great post.  Thanks!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

roundater
on 9/24/11 4:06 am - Lincoln, NE
Good advice! Thank you for sharing!
Rich Sonderegger

calimal
on 4/27/12 5:30 am - Beaverton, OR
 Thank you for sharing, that was very helpfull.

5' 9.5",    HW 340,     SW 310        GW 165             

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views