it wasnt me?! yes it was you!!

sianabob
on 9/27/11 12:23 pm
3 people have recently approached me asking how I have made my sleeve work and telling me the fail of theirs....

All 3 blamed it to being done wrong

All 3 had a food in their possesion to hinder success at the time of our converstation... (cake, soda, and ice cream)

1 out of 3 claimed they worked out 5 days a week, the other 2 gave up

all of them had extreamly high daily calorie quotas

YES, I have eaten high carb/ sugar foods since I have had the sleeve... (No not daily.. not even weekly.. not even bi-weekly.). So I am not claiming any all mighty-ness but I am NOT going to sit there claiming my tool to have failed me while eating a blizzard!

Apparently some people are expecting a magic wand

Marcia B.
on 9/27/11 12:34 pm - CA
I hear you and I agree with your post completely.. People although they say they know it's a tool etc, they are just saying it, because those ones that complain about it failing don't change their lifestyles at all.  I think they truly think the weight is going to fall right off without exercise and eating right.  It's frustrating to listen to them
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

infodiva808
on 9/27/11 4:13 pm
So true, it's a tool not a crutch!

frisco
on 9/27/11 5:13 pm

Seems to becoming fairly common.......

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

hrford
on 9/27/11 10:22 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 It's one of the reasons I'm glad I don't like ice cream!  It would be so easy to get those empty calories down.  My addiction at least has some substance that may be harder to eat a lot of later.  But I am seeing a psych to help so hopefully we'll come up with some better coping skills. 

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Happy966
on 9/27/11 10:37 pm

I have sympathy for these people, and I feel so grateful that I spent 25 years struggling with my screwed up relationship with food before I did surgery. 

If I had had surgery before I understood that there were some things I could not eat ever, period, AND before I understood the freedom that represents, then I'm sure *I* would still be trying to measure out 10 M&Ms and waking up with the whole one-pound bag gone.

I have seen many successful stories about vets who continue to eat foods that would trigger me BIG TIME and I say "good for you"!!  You've demonstrated you have a proven ability to take care of yourself around food.  *I* can't. 

And, I suspect that post-op folks who are eating high calories foods in an out-of-control manner while still needing to lose weight can't either.  IMHO, this isn't solved by 3 pre-op education classes and monthly support meetings at your surgeon's office, which is what a lot of people expect going into this.  Thank goodness there are vets here who talk about what's needed, and can provide support to people who are ready to tackle their problems. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Michelle F.
on 9/28/11 12:14 am
A lot of surgeons don't tell patients that it is up to us to succeed, it's not only up to our "tool".  I really believe that most of us should get counseling prior to WLS as well as after to help us deal with why we turn to food as a coping mechanism.

After over 3 years, I still want to numb myself with food (and on rare occasions I still succumb) but therapy has helped me tremendously and when I do let it happen, I don't let it slide downhill into a full blown binge.  Therapy has let me acknowledge my **** up, forgive myself and get my ass right back on program.

A lot of people do expect a magic wand, but I think a lot of surgeons are encouraging that expectation as well and it is setting up some people to fail, especially the ones who are not psychologically ready for surgery.  Just my opinion
Band to Sleeve Revision 3/1/11

George B.
on 9/28/11 1:32 am - Miami, FL
Really funny!!!!

"All 3 had a food in their possesion to hinder success at the time of our converstation... (cake, soda, and ice cream)"

" all of them had extremely high calorie quotas"

Apparently, these people have vision issues. The reason for their failure was right in front of them and they failed to see it. Maybe the carbs caused temporary blindness.

I'm at goal and I'll carb it up occasionally but it's an exception and not the rule. 

I still start my meals with protein and limit carbs. I'm 2 years post-op and can assure you there is not magic wand.

You may want to recommend OH to these three. They may gain insight into what they're doing wrong.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views