WTH...heart problems with weight loss???

kalimamasmom
on 9/29/11 3:29 am
So, my heart skips beats now and my pulse goes down to 38 (which I just found out is really bad).  So, I'm losing weight to get healthy, but apparently my heart liked me better fat.
So, I'm going to search the site for more info, but does anyone have / had anything similar happen?  I don't see the cardiologist until the 12th and now I'm afraid to go to sleep!
AHHHH!  Any advice?
Jen

Karen-Adventure
on 9/29/11 3:34 am
Karen-Adventure
on 9/29/11 3:36 am
I submitted this once but it didn't show so if you get this twice sorry.  Do you have any history of any heart problems?  How did you find out that your pulse gets so low?  Did you check the pulse yourself or was this found while you were being seen somewhere else?

kalimamasmom
on 9/29/11 3:59 am
Just some skipped beats, but nothing like this...it was the holter monitor checking for the skipped beats that caught the low rate.

SassyItalian
on 9/29/11 3:47 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
i would think your GP could at least run some tests until you can get into the cardiologist.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

kalimamasmom
on 9/29/11 3:56 am
She did run an ekg today and some bloodwork.  So, we'll see!

Arianasmama
on 9/29/11 3:56 am - Beverly Hills, CA
I went through this prior to surgery and come to find out my potassium level was really low.  Please have your PCP run some tests. 

Be encouraged!
Be Blessed            
(deactivated member)
on 9/29/11 4:39 am
I hope it's nothing serious. Please let us know how the card. visit goes. I have had some palpitations also and will be seeing my pcp about it soon. My surgeon suggested it might have to do with pre-menopause but he insisted I go see my reg. dr. I don't know how old you are but that is one thing that might cause it. I don't know about the slow rate though. Good luck!
acbbrown
on 9/29/11 5:21 am - Granada Hills, CA
One of the reasons that we require a high protein diet is because if we are lacking on protein, the body will use muscle tissue for energy. The heart is a muscle so there is always a risk/concern of damaging the heart with rapid weight loss. Kaiser requires me to have an EKG with every 30-50 lbs lost to monitor the heart.

I'm not saying that this is anything related to your issue, but yes, weight loss can have negative consequences on your heart. Are you any kind of medication that could make your pulse lower (ie a beta blocker or anything).

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

kalimamasmom
on 9/29/11 7:55 am
Nope, no meds and I make sure to get in between 90-100g's of protein daily without fail, so hopefully I'm not burning muscle with that.  I have done a a little bit of research on the site and it looks like there are others who have been to the cardiologist and this is their new norm.  So, we'll see!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views