Sleeved on Thursday, major gas pains

Marisa_21
on 10/2/11 1:48 am - CA
I got my sleeve on Thursday and I am home now, since yesterday. I'm on pain meds and I am following all instructions but I have some major gas pains and I can't seem to expel enough gas to feel comfortable. I was told that I would have gas and it's normal  and all that but my trouble is that all this gas has made me bloat and it seems I cannot pass any of it! HELP! This may sound silly but i am wondering if anyone the same or similar issues with this and what you did to fix it. I think I'd be handling the adjustment to home life much better if I wasn't so uncomfortable
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 2:01 am
When I had my gallbladder out just over a year ago, the absolute worst post op pain came from the CO2 gas left inside. Oh boy, it hurt. It took three days after the surgery to go away. I had my surger on a Tuesday and I didn't feel "de-gassed" until Saturday morning. The gas will go away on it's own. As uncomfortable as it is right now, just know it will probably be gone by the end of today or by tomorrow.
Won't get my sleeve until December, so I can only relate via the gallbladder.
Marisa_21
on 10/2/11 2:12 am - CA
Thanks! It's so uncomfortable! I can't wait for it to go away
mainekit
on 10/2/11 2:16 am
I had the exact same problem and was miserable for several days.  Gas-X  Thin Strips helped and so did moving around.  I went for a short walk daily starting on Monday and also, when watching TV, I stood up and walked in place for a couple of minutes every hour or so.  My surgery was also on a Thursday and by the following Tuesday the gas was pretty much gone and I felt ever so much better.

mr.mcphatty
on 10/2/11 2:19 am
mr.mcphatty
on 10/2/11 2:23 am
The gas pains go away after about a week.  Mine quit when I started eating pudding and soups.  Hang in there, it gets better, and it's definitely worth it!!!  PS Narcotic pain meds do negative things to your bowels.  Have you tried Toradol?
PBJ
on 10/2/11 3:09 am
walking and more walking is the way to get rid of it.  I know it really is awful.  Also the heating pad was a hugh help to me..I had my husband go and buy me one and it was my best friend...try that.  good luck to you..it does get better.

Patty
My weight loss journey                                                    
Smardeepants
on 10/2/11 3:29 am
Oh yes, the heating pad was my best friend!!  Nurses said that side-lying (and switching back and forth) would promote peristalsis (the intestines waking up).

Hang in there!! I know it sounds crazy to stop the pain meds when you're in pain, but seriously, it's what woke things up again! 

Smardeepants
on 10/2/11 3:28 am
I had the same thing happen! For me, no amount of walking or gas strips did ANYTHING! I was completely unable to pass gas AT ALL!! I had almost no bowel sounds, and my surgeon determined that my intestines were "asleep" from the pain meds.

What finally woke them up was stopping all pain meds. I stopped all meds on day 3, and while I was very sore, I turned a corner on day 5. Finally, and day 9 (yes, day 9!!!) I was able to pass gas. It took almost a week of being off narcotic pain meds for that.

I would seriously consider switching to plain-old liquid tylenol, walk as much as possible, and within a week you should be rooty-tooty again.

Jackie00
on 10/2/11 3:34 am
We had no narcotics, gas x strips helped. I found I could only get rid of gas if I was sitting on the toilet lol. I couldn't if I was laying in bed or walking, weird.

I found the pain medication I was given was making my stomach very raw feeling. It felt like acid reflux and it was nasty. I took my last pain pill on my way home so I wouldn't get uncomfortable on the plane. I had to take the acid reducer for about two days after I got home then I didn't feel like I needed it anymore so I think it was the pain meds.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 365 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 410 views