HELP!!!!!

EmpoweringMe331
on 10/3/11 2:07 am - MD
Hi Everyone!
I really need help. For some reason it looks like my weight lost is really slowing down and I do not know why? I am currently in my third month. I have a lost a total of 75 pounds since my highest weight and 55 pounds since surgery. I know many of you are probably thinking.... what is wrong with me since I have lost quite a few pounds already. I am just getting scared because I am half way through my third month and i have only lost 5 pounds so far. I feel like if I get off track this month, then I won't hit my goal of losing 100 by December.
1st Month- 21 pounds lost
2nd Month- 13 pounds
3rd Month- 16 pounds
4 Months- I have only lost 5 pounds so far. I still have 2 more weeks but is this normal? Has this happened to you?

One thing that I am noticing is that I can eat more than before. I am still trying my best to make good food decisions and not eat the carbs.  I eat about 40 carbs a day and I eat about 60-80grams of protein. I exercise for about 3-4 times a week. I just don't know what is wrong with me. Is my weight lost coming to an end? Any advice you can send me, I would absolutely appreciate it.

Karen-Adventure
on 10/3/11 2:23 am
I love your photo .  Maybe you are hitting a plateu or maybe it is just going to be a slow month for you.  Either way it is OK.  Make sure you are drinking all your fluids and doing the right things and the weight loss will continue.  Chin up it will be ok.

stumblequeen
on 10/3/11 2:41 am - Mentor, OH
I feel your pain. I'm 8 months out and have only lost 60 pounds...I have not lost any weight to speak of in the past 4 months. It's very discouraging. I, too, can eat more and am hungry. I joined an excercise class 4 months ago...body sculpting and zumba 3 times per week and try to walk or do other things at home for another 2 days a week. I drink my fluids...I am very discourged. I don't think I'm going to lose any more...and I still have 60 to go!
Jete
on 10/3/11 2:44 am - Nashville, TN
Only 55 pounds in 3 months?  Only?  It sounds like you are doing fine.  Before surgery, I'd have been jumping for joy at losing that much weight.  We all lose at different rates since our bodies are all different.  Have you had any stalls?  Maybe instead of like others on here who lose, stall, lose, stall etc, you are just losing at a slow, steady pace but this time your body is trying harder to "stall" than in other months. I have no idea if this is right, but it sounds like  a possibility.

Congrats on 75 pounds.  You're doing great, it'll come off as long as you follow your Dr's plan.  Good luck.

Jete

Jasonm11
on 10/3/11 2:59 am, edited 10/3/11 3:00 am
The thing that kept me losing when I would slow down, is being brutally honest with my food intake. Make sure you are counting every single last drop of anything that goes in your mouth and make sure that it meets your nutritional needs. Exercise as much as you can. While there will be times you will notice a gradual slowdown you will lose weight. My weight loss was something along the lines of 1st - 35#'s, 2nd, 25 #'s, 3rd 20 #'s 4th 15 #'s, and so forth, dropping slightly month to month.

The thing to remember is the basic formula is unchanged, if you eat less calories than your body needs, while supplying it with the nutrional needs it has, it will use stored reserves(fat) to power your body. That and only that will cause you to lose fat. Not meeting your nutrional goals may cause you to lose weight in muscle but not fat. That is why protein is so important. Track everything, exercise in some form as often as you can, be honest to yourself with intake and your fat will come off. Don't be alarmed if weight loss slows as well from exercising while you build muscle. Nothing is wrong with muscle replacing fat but if it is doing so, you will notice less weight loss.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
emelar
on 10/3/11 3:07 am - TX
Setting weight loss goals is an absolute kiss of death.  You simply can't control how fast the weight comes off and will wind up disappointed.  Instead of focusing on pounds, focus on all of the things you're able to do now that you weren't 55 or 60 pounds ago.  Rejoice at your mobility, wrapping a towel around with room to spare, and all the other little things that you can do now.  Set goals that are within your control - how much exercise you get, what kinds of foods you eat, getting your vitamins in, other activities.

If you feel your weight loss is stalling, take a good hard look at what you're doing.  Still eating dense protein first?  Limiting carbs (if carbs are an issue for you)?  Getting in all of your fluid plus more?  Staying within your calorie budget?  Getting all your vitamins?  Exercising?  If you're doing all these things, then shake things up a little.  Eat more calories for a few days, or more protein.  Really focus on getting more water in.  And keep changing it up.

Even though your capacity for food has increased, don't stop measuring out your portions.  Eat your measured portion, and then stop.  If you find you're getting hungry too soon:

1.  Make sure to hold off drinking after your meals as long as possible.  You will stay full longer.
2.  Then drink like a camel about to go into the desert.
3.  Make sure you don't need a PPI or acid reducer (acid mimics hunger).
4.  If all else fails, schedule small frequent meals - but stay within your protein and calorie budgets.

I know it can be frustrating, but you will keep changing and you have to figure out how to adjust to the changes.
injeneral
on 10/3/11 3:55 am
I am in my second month and up until yesterday had only lost 3 pounds (three weeks into my second month). I'm down 6 pounds now, but still not really on track to meet the typical "12 pounds the second month" goal that most people get. Everyone is different. Every body is different. I'll be 2 months out on Oct. 15 -- I do not have high hopes for losing another 6 pounds by then! Oh well. It is what it is.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

G-Wiz
on 10/3/11 5:02 am - LA
Tommorrow will be 8 weeks out, the scale was stuck for two weeks. This morning I weighed myself and dropped 4.5 pounds. I was mad at my scale but my clothes continued to get looser so I didn't give up I continued working it and it paid off. My Therory is that your body has to catch-up with the fat lose and needs time to regroup.....So continue to work the sleeve and drink water. It will happen. P.S. I have to weigh myself one time a week or I go crazy. I need my sanity.....

HW:387#,  CW: 341.7#,  SW:326.5#, GW 180#...
SLEEVE SURGERY DATE  AUGUST 9, 2011.....                      
EmpoweringMe331
on 10/3/11 9:44 am - MD
Thanks everyone for your responses. Being honest with myself, I know I need to do better with my liquids. I was never a big drinker in the beginning so it is really hard for me to drink the 64ozs. I will continue to work at increasin this. I hope to give you a great report on the 14th. Wish me luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views