Scared to schedule a Psch. Appointment?

TinyAppleDeer
on 10/3/11 12:15 pm - Vacaville, CA
So things have been going along for me so far... I met with Dr. Patching twice already... I have an appointment scheduled with a Dietician.. tomorrow I'll be going to my radiology appointment to have my UGI (I think that is what it is called) done to see if there is any hernias or ulcers or such. I've been logging my calorie/fat intake and exercise and this time around I have become very serious about it (due to a couple of things happening though... so yeah..)

but the one thing that I seem to dig my heels in and cower with.. is scheduling that one requirement.. the psych appointment. This is the only real requirement of my insurance I need to schedule (I believe, I hope).

see the thing is, at 13 I was oficcially diagnosed horrible depression and I was suicidal and self injuried.. a 'friend' didn't make the year following any better. Though at 17 I have been able to get a hold on things without meds or anything though I have my bad days. But I am scared that if my past, and honestly presently my depression and anxiety is found that all my current work will be pushed aside and I'll be deemed unable to progress any further with WLS while everyone else wants me to work on the depression and anxiety...

while I, myself, do want to work on those two problems... I don't want them to interfere with this whole WLS... I don't want it to slow down my process of getting the VGS...  I want to get the surgery and then maybe a couple months after (using the excuse that I'm losing a lot of weight, hormones and such are being released into my system, etc) to find help for it. maybe... if my insurance covers therapy...

I'm probably worrying over nothing.. but I honestly feel like if I sit down and talk with this person, everything will halt and I'll be forced to wait longer..

(sorry if this is all over and doesn't make to much sense)

Mutha24Boyz
on 10/3/11 12:27 pm - NY
I have a psych history and have been cleared for my VSG. Don't be afraid just go and be honest, I was concerned also but it turned out to be totally fine. Make sure you eat a good breakfast and get plenty of rest before because there will be LOTS of ?s to answer, verbally and on paper. Good Luck!

I am 29 years old. 5' tall HW 247 SW 241 Pre-Op 226 Tentative Goal 130
www.theinkdiva.blogspot.com
Awesomassager
on 10/3/11 12:32 pm - KY
Keep you head up.. It wasnt that bad when I had mne done.  Make sure you are doing this for  the right reasons before you go into it. That is the maine thing they look for, and having a good support system, and to make sure you dont have the stressor that will cause you to want to eat. Know your stressor and how to defet them when it comes to food.

Ashley O.
on 10/3/11 12:43 pm
Just be honest.. I had the same problem.. at 13 I was diagnosed with major depressive disoder and general anxiety somthing.. and it honestly just got worse untill this past year.. and i've been on meds and in counseling.

I'm 16 now, had the surgery almost 2 months ago, and i'm off my meds.. I'm feeling so much better about things.. i think the health was a huge part of why i was feeling so depressed and self harm and everything.. and now that thats getting better.. i'm just getting better ina whole.

I didn't go into great detail with my psych consult.. but i had to see a social worker a few times before surgery and got into more detail and they thought it was great i was making this decision for myself, and most the people they had done surgery on had some form of depression or anxiety.. So i wasnt alone.

I'm surei t'll be fine. as long as you're ina better place now, than you were when you were 13.. it'll be alright. (:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

Hislady
on 10/3/11 12:44 pm - Vancouver, WA
Many folks have psych issues far worse than yours and have been approved. The main thing is to be honest snd open about yourself. As long as you have been stable for awhile it probably won't cause a delay. My test was a 3 hr. written test of all kinds of seemingly random questions, tho they told the psych things. Anyway that and about a 1/2 hr. face to face and I was done and OKd. Try not to worry just do it and get it over with. Good luck to you!
Jan G.
on 10/3/11 1:05 pm - WI
First of all I am truly sorry for ALL you have been going through and what you are struggling with now.

The psych eval is to rule out psychosis, assuring Ins/surgeon you are able to make your own sound judgments and understand this surgery. They should interview you and please do not be afraid to share your history AS your history. IF you are not suicidal, so depressed you cannot cope THEN they will have you wait. IF..you are not.. do not worry about it.

Make sure you discuss HOW you worked on your issues/depression/anxiety: therapy, meds etc.

They should give you a personaity inventory test which picks up mental illness, psychosis.

The BIG thing is how are you coping with life/issues/stress now? If you are not coping well now, the surgery could set you back. It does not mean you cannot EVER have the surgery but you need to be in good mental health. Surgery affects the chemicals in our brains for the good and not so good. It can be stressful as it forces major changes in your life. And for many of us (me esp) FOOD was a source of comfort and coping.

Good luck.. let us know what happens. I wish you only the best.

Hugs, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

roundater
on 10/3/11 1:13 pm - Lincoln, NE
Shouldn't be a problem. I have been treated for anxiety and depression and My psych evaluation was no problem. The biggest issue was getting the format correct. Hope this helps.
Rich Sonderegger

Pat H.
on 10/4/11 3:46 am
I too have been treated for anxiety and depression periodically since I was in my 20's. I have sought counselling at times over the years and currently am on an antidepressant med. I am nearly 60 and had no problem with the psych evaluation. Everyone's suggestions are excellent and I'm thinking you will be just fine. Good Luck!

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

sunnymicki
on 10/4/11 5:14 am
What Jan G said about coping mechanisms is so true.  If you are currently medicating your depression and anxiety with food, you have to be aware that after surgery, that will not be an option.
And it is stressful to say the least. 

I really believe that you should seek treatment for your depression now, because it will make your post-op time easier.  You don't necessarily have to go to a psych to get started.  Most PCP's are familiar with depression/anxiety issues and are willling to write prescriptions for them.  Long term of course, adding in counseling to deal with the underlying issues is the way to go, but getting that med in you can make a big difference in the meantime.

Like others have said, this shouldn't interfere with your weight loss surgery scheduling.  In fact, I think the psych eval will go better if the Dr. sees that you have taken action to work on your depression.  Please consider making an appt with your PCP to talk about this, instead of waiting until several months after surgery!

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

TinyAppleDeer
on 10/4/11 8:30 am - Vacaville, CA
Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Food has never been a way to cope with depression or anxiety. I just got this big because I never ate right, ate to much, and didn't move enough...

now a days to cope I just write everything and I also talk with friends (who they, themselves, have also had WLS surgery, the Roux-en-y surgery) and it helps.

I'm going to try to call and schedule an appointment tomorrow... today I just have to mentally prepare myself (do not like to make phonecalls... and it being the psych. appointment..)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views