Was anyone alone for their surgery?

roobi
on 10/9/11 3:22 am
 I'm going to be having my surgery out of state in California. (Long story but my ins. only fully covers CA hospitals and I live in Las Vegas). I hope to have it with Dr. Jossart in San Jose, CA before the end of the year.

Anyway, I dont have much family and I know my mom and sister won't be able to come with me for the surgery. And basically, I have no one else that would or could come with me. So I'm going to be doing it alone.

My plan is to stay in the area for at least 4 days after my surgery and then fly back. But now my concern is, will the hopsital release you if they know you are by yourself? And was anyone else totally alone for this process?
Mrsdwhite
on 10/9/11 3:27 am
You won't be alone Jesus is with you.  Tell Him and your angels to pack their bags because ya'll are going out of town,
susanraywilliams
on 10/9/11 3:32 am
I would plan ahead. Talk to your Doctor/medical people, see if there is a nearby hotel that even gives discounts to their patients. Next, I would see if there is a car that they (hotel) can offer to come pick you up and bring you back to your room.

Good luck and have a blessed one!

Susan

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

Maintaining Cindy
on 10/9/11 3:34 am
I travelled by myself from Belize, by boat and bus, to Cancun Mexico.  Stayed there for 4 nights and made my way back home, by bus and plane...  all by myself.  AND I am a whimp and I rely on my hubby for a lot.  (he is my best bud!)  He did not want me to get the surgery, but knew I was going to do it anyway.  He said ok well then you are on your own.  He held down the fort, business and our puppies and I did what I knew I needed to do!

You will be just fine, you will be sleeping and walking a lot.  A bit of reading and TV and you will be all set.  I actually enjoyed the time alone.  I never watch TV at home, and I watched all kinds of good crap on TV that week.  Loved it.

All the best on your journey, GO FOR IT! 

Cindy

MyOwnSunshine
on 10/9/11 3:35 am
I think you'll be fine.  They can't NOT release you -- trust me, I work in a hospital and know this.  I would have been fine being by myself in a hotel for a few days. 

People come from surrounding states to see my surgeon all the time, and the requirement is that they stay in town for 4 or 5 days afterwards. 

I think you'll be fine, but just remember that you won't be able to lift your bags, so you'll have to ask your cab driver and people at the hotel to carry your bag for you.  Also, you might want to call your hotel and ask if you can have some things delivered in advance, like protein drinks, bottled water, etc.  You won't feel up to shopping and won't be able to lug things around right after surgery.

Best wishes.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
CSAL
on 10/9/11 3:42 am - Canada
 I went from canada to mexico by myself and back.... not a problem... I even drove myself from the airport back to my place ( 45 min). I did have an easy time of it. Surgery on Wed, Released Sat then 1 night in hotel before the flight home. Good Luck....
 VSG: AUG 17, 2011    
Kayla M.
on 10/9/11 3:50 am
I was alone for the surgery and my hospital stay but had friends at home who could help me.
I'm 99% sure they can't keep you just because there isn't anyone to help you. Insurance won't pay to keep you there because of that, and you can't be required to pay out of pocket at that point.
Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 3:57 am - CA

I'm scheduled to have my surgery this Thursday (Oct 13th) and I will be alone too.  I'm in Los Angeles and have family here but I haven't told them (For various reasons).  My insurance covers 2-3 days so I asked the doc if I could stay three days and he said no.  Apparently insurance companies have strict regulations and I would only be able to stay if I was medically required.  M friend is going to drive me home but will probably not stay since she lives an hour away.  Nonetheless, based on the feedback that I received from others, you'll be fine by the second day.  The main thing is to be sure you have everything you need with you and once you return home.  I've been putting together my list of things to do and things to buy for the past few weeks.

It's too bad you're not coming to the LA area.  I'd be more than happy to come and check in on you.  If you're still curious, you're very welcome to be my buddy and I'll give you all of the advice you need after my surgery.  Best wishes. 

Jan G.
on 10/9/11 4:27 am - WI
Well good for you for doing this for yourself!!!

I would add to have a 2nd back up plan, just in case you stay a bit longer. My surgeon said to my sister who took me, ALL my sleeve pts go home in 24 hours.  Ok..6 days later, I was begging to get out. But due to throwing up 4 of the 6 days he had to watch me, do a 2nd GI test. Now turns out at 7 weeks I had to have my new tummy dilated which made a big difference. I had NO pain, no GAS, felt fine, no nausea, but even water, saliva could not get through very well. After the swelling went down it went back up due to vomiting.

You could arrange a ride, cab or transit from the hotel. But will you be paying for a hotel while you are in hospital?

Good luck hon. HUGS to my new OH Friend, Jan

VSG: 08/05/2011   Age 62   5 foot:  HW: 207    SW 194   CW 156

newme2011-2012
on 10/9/11 4:35 am
I am going alone to mexico for my surgery on Nov.10th . My hubby is staying home oith my 2 teenage daughters... I am trusting all will be fine.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 286 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 337 views