Pre-Op Liquid Diet - A different concern/complaint!

sourcherriex
on 10/9/11 10:52 am - CA
So this is gonna sound totally weird but I'm worried that this is too easy.. I must be doing something wrong. lol. I've been on liquids since 9/28 and the first 3 days were rough cause I was obviously carb detoxing.. but now I'm not really hungry and it's easy to just have liquids instead of food. Even smelling other people's food and people eating around me doesn't bother me.

My thoughts are like this: What if they cut me open on thursday and my liver didn't shrink like at all?!?! I'm so scared of that :( I'll wake up and find out I didn't even actually have surgery. I'm just so totally scared that I'll be the one person this doesn't work for. I think I'm mostly worried because I am not losing any weight on this pre-op diet. I started at 338 and then earlier this week I was at 322 but now I'm back up to 337! I have had my period all week so I don't know if its just that. Or maybe my scale is broken. My surgeon wants me to lose 10-12 lbs and I don't know how I'm going to pull it off. I have only been doing clear liquids and protein drinks today... no more cream soup for meals even though thats what's suggested on my nutrition plan. Maybe some of you guys could put me at ease. I am just absolutely terrified of screwing this up. I have been so on top of my pre-op diet.

These are probably common fears pre-op but I'm still feeling them and they still suck so any advice or comforting words would really help out.
 ~Marisa~

USAF Wife
on 10/9/11 11:00 am
It's water weight so you'll probably drop the weight, plus some liquids are pretty sodium packed if you're having anything other than just plain old water.  And, a little secret, your liver is NOT going to shrink a huge amount. The pre-op diet is designed to shrink, or rid the liver of the slippery/slimey fat deposits making it easier to move out of the way with the trochar. If you had true "fatty liver" disease, you'd been on a more restricted and modified diet long before 2 weeks pre-op.

My BMI was nearly 50, and all I had to do was low carb/high protein for a week pre-op and my liver was fabulous.

You'll do fine, don't fret or stress. Just keep following the plan ! ! !
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

sourcherriex
on 10/9/11 11:36 am - CA
 Thanks. I'm trying not to freak out too much. I know the chances of my liver being too fatty even though I've been following the diet are pretty slim. I guess I just feel like I have no control over it because I can't see my own liver! If that even makes sense, lol.
 ~Marisa~

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 12:29 am
You know what USAF wife, I have had fatty liver disease foe years. I never thought about it like that before. They do have me just on the two week liquid diet. Hopefully thats enough. I totally forgot I had it until your post!
mandyc1975
on 10/10/11 7:14 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with

First of all, if you think this is pretty easy, then I would say that is because your head is in the right place and you are ready to make this change. Just keep doing what you are doing. I'm sure it will all work out.

Second, what kind of protein drinks are you drinking? My doc had me on Slim Fast High protein shakes with skim milk. They weren't too bad if you can have them.

Good Luck!

Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
sourcherriex
on 10/10/11 10:14 am - CA
 My dr didn't care what protein drink we chose as long as we could keep them down. Suggested on my nutritional plan is this "world protein" thing that is supposedly at trader joe's, but I've been to 3 stores and can't find it. So I'm drinking premier from costco and light muscle milk for my ready-to-drink ones, and max protein powder for my homemade ones.

I am also allowed FF yogurt, SF fudgesicles, and 1 cup of cream soup per meal. I drink a lot of FF milk and I think that is what's pulling me through, honestly.
 ~Marisa~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views