Pasta, anyone?

Marisa_21
on 10/9/11 12:47 pm - CA
I know that at this stage (10 days out and still on liquids) I cannot have it but will there EVER be a time when it becomes okay to have a little bit of pasta? I'm afraid it's one of those foods I don't think I can part with forever.
sianabob
on 10/9/11 12:56 pm
In maitnance, after your sleeve is fully healed and you dont need to watch your carbs as closely

Smardeepants
on 10/9/11 1:00 pm
I used to think that, too. LOL.

I actually gave it up during my pre-op phase (switched to spaghetti squash, which I now LOVE). I thought I would DIE without my carbs, but have not touched bread, rice, or pasta since surgery (almost 3.5 mos ago). I honestly don't miss it.

The thought of eating it now just makes me hurt. Just thinking of how it would expand... uggh. I'm in the losing phase, and for me now, all carbs are out. Even in tiny amounts.

Once I'm at goal/maintenance, I will rethink some of the foods that I've banned. If I can allow them back in (and they won't become triggers, or cause me to fall off the wagon) then I'll allow them (in small amounts, on occasion). To me, now that I've found a substitute that I REALLY enjoy, I don't feel like I miss it, and don't know if pasta will be one that's worth the calories and carbs. 

That's just me, though.

Elaine2
on 10/9/11 1:14 pm - Atlanta, GA
I think one of the most interesting parts of this new food lifestyle has been finding healthy substitutes for less beneficial choices.

Portabella pizzas (or lavash); spaghetti squash; cheese crisps instead of crackers; flavored yogurt instead of ice cream; etc., etc....and more if you're into more cooking and preparation.

Pasta, along with other high carb items, was on my NUT's forbidden food list for the first year. It's on my list now until I reach goal and probably after that.     I'll have to see after I reach maintenance but I'm certain it would be a very infrequent item.

Elaine H.
on 10/9/11 1:37 pm
I am with Elaine2. I have found substitute foods - like spaghetti squash also and don't miss those kind of carbs. If you are faithful to your doctors diet plan you just don't crave bad carbs anymore. Nothing is forever - it is one day at a time through this journey.
          VSG 3/21/11    HW 322  SW  298  CW  200 GW  175  5'7"    age 65                                                                           
Marisa_21
on 10/9/11 1:52 pm - CA
Wow great suggestions. Thanks, everyone! I have had spaghetti squash in the past and I like it alot but I guess I just wanted to be able to mentally prepare myself in the event that pasta and I must go our separate way for good.
Marcia B.
on 10/10/11 3:30 am - CA
I use to love pasta and now 12 almost 13 weeks post op I tried it and it tastes like raw flour to me, so I won't be eating it any longer.  I can have it didn't bother my stomach but my tastes have changed a Ton since surgery in July.  You may find that after you have tried it you don't like it at all.  :)
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Hollyhock
on 10/10/11 3:52 am - VA
I generally buy the pasta with low glycemic index (dreamfields) and eat it in very small quantities (1/4 cup cooked or less). No problem.

I am not into banning foods, even in the weight loss phase. Too many absolutes stress me out. I'm doing just fine.
5'7"  VSG on 6/6/2011  HW 224, SW 214, CW 144  
Still Fawn
on 10/10/11 6:38 am - SIERRA MADRE, CA
I have eaten pasta from about a month out.. So almost three years now.. Most people will tell you it's a bad choice, and maybe it is.. But it is not gonna hurt you to have some at some point in the future... IMO..

I am still loving life with my sleeve! Been maintaining at or below goal for over 4 years!
"People spend a lifetime searching for happiness; looking for peace. They chase idle dreams, addictions, religions, even other people, hoping to fill the emptiness that plagues them. The irony is the only place they ever needed to search was within."   - Ramona L. Anderson

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views