Bariatric Card

Sharon G.
on 10/10/11 6:06 am - Middlesex County, NJ
       I've heard people have gotten bariatric cards after having surgery from somehere, they use them when they go to restaurants which allows them to order children's portions and smaller adult portions...How can I get a hold of one?? Any help would be appreciated....I have a printer and might just make one up myself if nobody knows on here....Thanks....
revision from band in 2008
to sleeve October 7, 2011

Stacey H.
on 10/10/11 6:08 am - TX
I got one from my surgeon's office.

HW 318     SW 286     CW 180.1    GW 145     

edelu
on 10/10/11 6:10 am - los angeles, CA
my nutritionist  but i never used them.
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 6:21 am, edited 10/10/11 6:24 am
I believe you can Google and pull up any number of them.. I have not looked though, so I may be wrong..

I do want to point out a couple things.. one- kids meals are really crappy foods generally, and will still be too big of a portion. Two, no restaurant is under any obligation to honor these "cards." Three: I have eaten out since week 4, and have never had a restaurant refuse an ala cart order.. breakfast place, I asked for 1 egg over easy & 1 slice bacon (didn't finish either..) reg place, grilled chicken breast, no sides, no problem.. and four: I usually order the healthiest app :shrimp ****tail, tuna carpaccio, cheese and meat sampler.. anything not stuffed in a potato skin, even soup or chili!

Mostly I am dining with my husband, so I order an app, he gets an entree, both bought out together.. I nibble off both and we have leftovers. Or some places we order one entree and pay the plate fee for a second plate (be sure to advise them to not add extra sides to yours.)

I have no issue ordering an entree knowing I will eat 1/4 of it and have leftovers.. or in cases where I could not take leftovers, I'm ok leaving food. Yes, the server may ask if the meal was ok, eyeing your mostly uneaten plate, all you need to do is smile and say yes, no explanation needed. I've not had any server pry about my eating habits. The card is an unnecessary and sometimes embarrassing option, as many oblivious servers will have to take it back to the manager, make sure it's OK.. come back, give you your options (kids menu, seniors menu??).. no thanks.

edited for spelling

theshrinkingmimi
on 10/10/11 7:16 am
ditto and ditto for USAF wife
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
USAF Wife
on 10/10/11 6:27 am
Try to avoid children's menus. They are the least nutrient filled options, often fried and carb filled foods which are not good options. I stick to chilis, soups, an appetizer, or ordering an entree, and bringing home leftovers which technically break downs to be less expensive than a kid's meal whi*****ludes a drink that we aren't supposed to have with our meal anyways. Even ordering just an a la carte item for a protein choice is less expensive than most kid's menu options.

You can google for one if you really want one, but remember that it's at the discretion of the eatery to accept or decline the use of them. I really hate them, and have a long opinion on them. But, the short version is, there are so many better options than the kid's menu.

I've never had any server, manager, waiter ask me "why do you only want a chicken breast with broccoli?" Plus, I never had a desire to wave a card to some 20something server saying "I had my guts altered so I wouldn't be fat anymore, I need a smaller meal." Just a personal stance on telling perfect strangers on my choice for surgery.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

slimmingsammy
on 10/10/11 6:50 am
My surgeon gave me my card.  I have never used it; and the one time I attempted to use it, the restaurant wouldn't accept it so I just ordered an appetizer.

HW: 396 VSG: 7/5/11: 388 lbs.
Marcia B.
on 10/10/11 7:11 am - CA
My surgeon's office gave me one but I always seem to forget it in my purse, so I either take some food from hubby's plate if it's not junk... or I order an appetizer or something small.  I don't really get the kids meals because there isn't much on there I would actually eat that I can't get on it's own.  Or I order side items for example 1 poached egg and some avocado at a breakfast place.  Never had any issues.
Philippians 4:13 -  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

amanda D.
on 10/10/11 11:51 am - Stayton, OR
I got one from my NUT.  I am 3.5 weeks out and have not used it.  I have found that most places where we go to eat have no issue giving me child size portions, (when i remember to ask)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views