Well, crap.

LaughingCow
on 10/11/11 11:26 pm - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
My husband checked for me early on to verify that the insurance covers the sleeve.  It does.  But they only cover it if you have a BMI of 50+.  I can't recall my exact BMI, but it's lower that.  I don't think I want either of the other surgeries that my insurance covers (band and RNY), though I have to research them further.  Maybe I've dismissed them too hastily. 

How likely would it be for my insurance to approve the VSG upon appeal?  I have Care First Blue Choice, if that matters. 
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Kelley D.
on 10/11/11 11:41 pm
go up to the tools tab and they have a bmi calc on here that I use all the time. That way you can know wgere you stand. blessings on you and your journey,

Height: 5'8"  Start weight:316 My goal: 190 Surgeons goal:175. reached my goal... 3years out, had some bounce back time to get back on track!

George B.
on 10/11/11 11:59 pm - Miami, FL
This is where a doctor's office with a good insurance coordinator becomes important. The doctor's office should process or assist you in processing an appeal.

If the appeal fails the doctor can request a peer-to peer conference where he advocates for your position.

Do not give up without a fight.

Good luck,
George

LaughingCow
on 10/12/11 3:56 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Thank you both.  :)

I will address with the surgeon whether we can apply, be denied, then appeal the decision.  Meanwhile, I will review the other surgeries that are available to me.  I may just have done all this for nothing.  I really should have asked more questions.  I knew insurance could be squirrelly about these things. 
Amy
LaughingCow
on 10/13/11 4:09 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Well, I've reached a decision.  Or at least for the first step.  Open enrollment is next month.  We may choose our insurance for the year based on which one will cover VSG for me - if any will.  We should have four plans to choose from, maybe more, between my husband and I.  So maybe there's hope.

If that doesn't work, then I'll work with the insurance coordinator to see if we can challange a denial. 

Meanwhile, I'll be learning about the other surgeries in case I end up finding them suitable.  But I suspect that if I can't have VSG I may opt out of WLS altogether. 
Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 430 views