How do you know when your full?????

Sharon G.
on 10/12/11 3:03 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 I had a revision from Band to sleeve, as all you bandsters,you know the feeling when your full, but with the sleeve, how do you know????

MNgrl2TX
on 10/12/11 3:25 am
VSG on 09/19/11 with
 For me it is just a tightness in my chest while eating.  When I start feeling it, I stop eating.  

Congrats on your sleeve!  

33 yrs old - 5'8 - SW 305 - GW 165
                            MyFitnessPal: DuckyTX

USAF Wife
on 10/12/11 3:26 am
One big issue with the sleeve is eating until full often causes issues just like with the band. So, it was heavily suggested/recommended to NOT seek this elusive "full signal/feeling" since that typically contributes to overeating.

I can tell you that I was a measurer, by volume, and refused to eat until a full sensation came on. Plus, it took months for me to a get a full signal and it was a single hiccup. One bite after that hiccup and I was puking up that one last bite. I had to figure out the difference between "full" and "satisfied".

For me, I still try to undereat my sleeve because it keeps me in check with food choices. I was a true volume eater, and used to love that "thanksgiving day" stuffed feeling. Now, I hate it.

Everyone does it differently. It seems some stop when it hurts, I'm not one for pain so I never wanted that sensation. Some stop when they feel this "pressure" in their chest, again, I wasn't a fan of that feeling with the band so I never got there either. I'm not saying that I haven't overeaten my sleeve, I have on a few occasions, and it always left me miserable.

Until I could truly eyeball portions, I stuck with measuring my portions. When eating out, and having a true measuring device available was not feasible, I used visuals. 1 matchbox is about 1oz, a deck of cards is about 3oz and so on.

Hope that helps.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Mom4Jazz
on 10/12/11 3:29 am, edited 10/12/11 3:31 am
Before I answer your question, let me recommend that you consider going for "satisfied" rather than full. If you eat slowly and chew your food, get in the habit of asking yourself after each bite (and this becomes natural but it takes a while) "am I eating because I want more, or because it's there". Once you realize you're just eating because it's there, put it away and remove the temptation.

That said, I get a little burpy/hiccupy feeling, very subtle, if I miss my "satisfied" cue and eat until full. I try not to do this.

Edit to add: I still measure my food at 6 months and don't put more on my plate than 2 oz of protein like chicken, tuna, pork chop, egg, whatever. I still don't eat until full, though, and often don't finish.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Happy966
on 10/12/11 4:07 am

I don't know while I'm eating, which is frustrating.  Then again, I don't think I knew *before* surgery.

I rarely feel satisfied until after about 20 or 30 minutes after I'm done, so I weigh and measure everything.  Only a few times did I feel restriction mid-meal and stop. 

On top of that, my restriction changes, so sometimes I can feel "full" on the same meal that normally leaves me "satisfied."  So I'm trying to eat just a few ounces at a time and trust I can eat more later. 

Full feels like a little lump in the back of my throat.  It's not like a "filled to gills" feeling.  It took me a little bit to figure out what it was!  I also feel it if I drink too soon after eating as well.  I need to wait 45 minutes to an hour to avoid this.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

percheron
on 10/12/11 5:10 am
Boy this is going to get you a number of answers since we are all made different.

For me, I have nerve damage so do not have sensation on the left side of my abdomen area or below my breast on  the left side, so don't feel full until it would be too late.  The way the nutritionist and doctor said to handle this is by being sure to have 2-4 ounces at a time and stop, then to be sure to wait my 45 minutes after eating to drink anything. 

I didn't adhere to this on two occasions and soon, my mouth was full of water and food.  SO, big lesson and might be a good rule of thumb if you can not tell when you are full, do all of your food by weight/ounces rather than sensations.

Ask your nutritionist how many ounces to have at a meal and just stick to that. 

For me, I only have head hunger, I don't get any desire to eat because my stomach is hungry so the ounce thing works well and allows me to fight the head hunger with reasons not to keep eating when I shouldn't.

Good luck!  This is a good question that may generate a lot of different answers.

lanunes
on 10/12/11 5:39 am - CA
I was told to eat 2 oz. /meal during weight loss phase. I measure my food and then eat that amount. I never feel hungry so I just make sure I get in what is needed. 2 times I think I may have not measured correctly and paid the consequences. The first time I think I may have had a bite too much and became extremely nauseous. Last night I ate a few bites too much (again only a measured amount but sometimes my tummy is more picky then others) and vomited after eating. Live and learn =) 
      Leslie Nunes              
edelu
on 10/12/11 6:01 am - los angeles, CA
I feel full, just like i did before the sleeve.  i begin to feel like I've had enough.  i too am a revision and could really never get anything down with the band or could get everything so i ever had that band feeling.  i finally felt so full after the sleeve that i started to weigh my food.  there's just this (sorry I'm so inarticulate in the description) full feeling.  no pain, just i can't eat another bite.  It's very reliable, I've never thrown up or had the foamies.  Thankfully I left that all behind with the band. Hope that helps. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 8:49 am
I measure everything and two ounces of protein and one bite of veggies is my limit. Once tried a little more and felt that tightness feeling. Did not like it at all. As long as i meet my target i don't really care if I am full or not. A totally new way of looking at eating, and it is refreshing.
Sharon G.
on 10/12/11 8:58 am - Middlesex County, NJ
 Thanks everyone for your answers they really helped me look at eating in a whole new light...xoxoxo

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views