Life Insurance and WLS

momokc
on 10/18/11 7:50 am
 If you want life insurance, get it BEFORE you have WLS.  I found out that most life insurance companies consider WLS just like a person who has cancer!! They will ask if you have lost weight in the past 12 months. If you say Yes, no matter how many or few pounds it is, they will not insure you until you have not lost weight for at least one year.  I only found one insurance company that would insure me but it was only for $11,000 for the time that I was losing weight thru the one year after I quit losing and then they said they would raise it to $50,000 after that time. That was mutual of Omaha.  The only real draw back is it is whole life insurance and you have to pay the premimum until you die! They do not write term insurance for WLS patients.  I am 62 yo and my premimum would have been $50.59 a month for the rest of my life.  There was no guarantee that it would be raised to $50,000 like they were telling me so I opted out and decided I would just save my money and put it CD and would have more money when I die.  

Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure us?  

Thanks, 
Granny

USAF Wife
on 10/18/11 8:04 am
Usually, an applicant will need to be surgery/disease free, and co-morbidity resolved for a minimum of 2 years.

There are several companies that will insure after a 2 year window. I was so fat that I was denied individual coverage at the age of 25. So, getting it before surgery is NOT always a guarantee that you'll be covered.

I'm an insurance agent and wrote policies for several companies in Texas for WLS patients who had been in maintenance for at least 2 years with 100% resolution of co-morbidities. I even wrote policies for cancer survivors, people with controlled hypertension and high cholesterol. There are certain riders, and "tabling" for rating that can be done through underwriting to get insurance coverage for ALL people. It just takes a good agent and company.

I have not written life insurance policies in 4 years since being with my husband, but I've received quotes and spoken to underwriters directly before submitting applications. It is possible to get a policy post-WLS.

Age, all medical history within 5-10 years, and company underwriting guidelines play a role in determining eligibility and rates. Underwriting typically follows the "3 strikes; you're out" rule. Meaning 3 health issues and either coverage is denied, or the rates are tabled(mulitplied) so high that it is not affordable.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

momokc
on 10/18/11 9:03 am
 Thank you that is what I keep hearing from the financial counselors that there is insurance out there however no one ever says what companies.  I am in federal service and want to retire in the next 2-3 years.  Since my children are happy with what I will have from my current job, I am just not going to be concerned about it any more.  

Thank you for your input, 
Granny

jessicae
on 10/18/11 8:34 am
I was denied life insurance due to my "weight being to great for my height".  nice way of putting it, right? 
i waited until open enrollment with my company when they switched life insurance companies and therefore you didn't have to fill out the forms about pre-existing, they accepted everyone.  I chose the full amount, lol. 

hopefully if i leave my job i'll be able to qualify for another life insurance after i've lost this weight and i am HEALTHY!

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

momokc
on 10/18/11 8:47 am
 I have life insurance with my company however after I get to 65, it starts declining down 2% each year down to about $20,000 and then stays there.  I thought I may want to leave more to my children but not for the prices the insurance companies are wanting.  My children did tell me not to buy any more insurance as with me having a burial policy and burial lot, the insurance with my company will cover anything else.  I was just wanting to give people a heads up about purchasing life insurance before WLS if they are wanting to get it. And if you are in your 20 & 30's it is much, much cheaper. 

Thanks for your input, 
Granny

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views