O.T. I'VE BEEN BURGLED

edelu
on 10/23/11 5:33 am - los angeles, CA
I'm one of those crazy people who have a ton more stuff than they need.  I'm a consumer and for as long as i remember I've been on a diet.  I also like nice things.  So I've been buying stuff for that weight i will eventually get to for a decade.  Sad i know.  So no matter how big my closet is it's never big enough.  This year before i had surgery I decided to take everything out of my closet in way smaller sizes.  Most of these things still had tags on them, I just never got to that size.  We have a large garage where we put our cars then another beside it which is a space for one can but insulated and has a light.  I put all of my stuff in there.  There was tons.  I got 10 of those huge plastic bins, that would hold a 300lb body and put the stuff in in categories.  Shoes, boots, dresses, skirts, coats etc.  I went down today to finally get some smaller sizes and the lock had been cut off and all my stuff gone.  The only thing left was an exercise machine.  I don't know what to do. The value of the stuff stolen was probably around $40,000.00  It's in the garage so I'm pretty sure our insurance doesn't cover it also I'm not sure if it's worth filing a police report, I can't even describe over 80% of what's gone.  What does frighten me is that they had to be organized, they had to pull a truck up to it when no one was home, they had to cut the lock off.  There is no one in my household who even goes on there.  The only key is on my key chain.  My housekeeper and gardener doesn't even know what's in there, they've been with me for years and i don't want them to have to be interviewed by the police, I know it would cause them anxiety. I'm pretty concerned.  What would you do?  Is there any point in filing a police report? 
dicastro1010
on 10/23/11 5:41 am - Escondido, CA
Oh geez! I'm so sorry. That's horrible. I would file a police report. They may end up selling it on something like craigslist and if anything looks familiar it would be helpful to have already filed a police report when/if you inquire on a listing. Did you ask neigbors if they saw anything unusual? I would also do that while it's fresh to get any tid bits possible.

Again, I am so sorry all of your items were stolen like that. I would be so bummed.
Hi I'm Diana! I'm 5'10 and hoping to get down to 165 :) Feel free to friend me! 

Jackie00
on 10/23/11 5:42 am
Sorry to hear this has happened. Well if ya didn't need clothing just imagine the shock they got lol.

We had our house robbed (in my teen years) a few times, it is not a nice feeling to know someone was in your house while you were not home or unaware. Hopefully you feel ok.

I would report it just for the fact in our case, they came back 3 times!!!! Plus it will get the police watching your house for any other activity while you are not home. It would be worthwhile to see what your insurance says but not sure how much of the clothing they will cover, if any.

Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

SassyItalian
on 10/23/11 5:49 am, edited 10/23/11 5:50 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Im sure you are feeling pretty violated and for that I am sorry..

It seems like what's done is done..

I would try and move on and focus on the excitement of buying new clothes as you reach goal.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Debra P.
on 10/23/11 6:12 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Somebody you know did this... I can almost guarentee you.  Someone who knew what you had put in the garage. Who helped you? or who did you tell? Most burglers do not steal clothing, it's hard to fence (find buyers for).
I would file a report, keep an eye on craigslist , ebay and your local paper and hit some near by garage sales and you may find some of your items, then notify the cops. 
I  would also file a report with your home owners ins. if the garage is attatched to the house.

Crystal M.
on 10/23/11 6:18 am - El Paso, TX
I don't know if you own or rent your home, but if you have homeowner's or renter's insurance, your losses should be covered. As for filing a police report, you absolutely should! $40,000 worth of merchandise and you don't think it's worth it? 
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

edelu
on 10/23/11 8:48 am - los angeles, CA
It's not that I don't think it's worth it but i do think it is never going to be retrieved.  It's clothing mostly so I'm pretty sure it's already hanging in some market somewhere.  I also think that filing a police report is only worthwhile in this instant if our insurance coverage covers that garage.  If it does (which I'll find out tomorrow from our business manager) then yes there is a point but if not, I don't really see the point.  It just feels so crappy.
HogRider
on 10/23/11 11:06 am - Jacksonville, FL
File a police report. I am sure your not the first house to be burgled nor the last. It may help the cops solve the thefts. Also I believe the is a line on the tax returns for loss due to theft.
USAF Retired                     CW: 257 SW: 341  GW :170
sunnymicki
on 10/23/11 11:24 am
Oh that really stinks!  You must feel horrible.

I would be pro-active on this for the reason that it would help me not feel like a victim. 

File a police report.  You never know how many other garage thefts have been reported, and what they may have leads on.

I would also take the morning to call all the clothing cosignment shops in the area and let them know you were buglarized.  You may not be able to describe everything - but a large lot of high end merchandise with tags still on - especially if it happens to come into the store still in the rubbermaid containers you describe - should raise some eyebrows if the store employees know to be on the lookout for it.  No smart business owner wants to be involved in selling stolen property!

Like others said, watch craigslist and ebay as well.

You likely won't get your things back.  But at least you'll feel like you stood up for yourself and did what you could.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

mickidee23
on 10/23/11 12:05 pm
i'd file, years ago our bikes that were outside were stolen and they were covered. Also,check ebay, craigslist, and consignment shops, garage sales.
 HW 267  SW 258  GW 150  Ht. 5'10.5"  Age 41

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 465 views