A Very Strange Thing

sunnymicki
on 10/25/11 1:37 pm
Ok, maybe not strange in the VSG world, but absolutely strange in my life.

Tomorrow I have my one month follow up appt, and I expect to be cleared to progress to "soft transitional" foods like tuna salad, baked fish, well cooked vegetables, scrambled eggs.  That's one week.  Then I have a week on "transitional" (moist meats), and then I should be cleared for a regular diet at six weeks.

The strange part is that I just have no excitement over this at all.  Before I would have been DYING thinking about all the food I wanted to eat.  And now I honestly have real apathy towards eating at all.  We bought some fresh frozen tilapia this weekend in anticipation of this event, and when my husband asked how I wanted to cook it (well season it), I just couldn't make mysef care. 

I have to force myself to get something to eat now, because I know I need to get my protein in.  I do get some hunger pains eventually if I don't eat, but it is so odd to me how long I go between meals without thinking about food, wanting food, or actually eating.

I went to my nephew's first birthay party on sunday, and was literally surrounded by my previous trigger foods...the things I couldn't stop eating.  Sweet and sour meatballs, pulled pork on white hamburger buns, cashews, tortilla chips and salsa, pigs in a blanket, etc.  Now I can't say that I didn't think about eating that stuff, while it was two feet from my nose, but I didn't have a hard time NOT eating it.  I was there for hours and never snuck more than the tiniest baby spoonful of cake.  I had planned on tasting the cake - just tasting it.  And that little taste of cake totally satisfied me.  

This is highly unusual in my life.  I think that eliminating almost all carbs and sugar has a great deal to do with it.  It didn't happen right away.  The first week and a half after surgery was tough.  But something has definitely changed in my brain.  And I don't want it to change back!

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

newme2011-2012
on 10/25/11 2:13 pm
It sounds like an awesome thing!! I can hardly wait until food doesn't have control over me like that!!
Congrats!!
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

sunnymicki
on 10/25/11 3:04 pm
This was one of the big things I was hoping would happen as a result of surgery.  I wanted to just eat to live, rather than living to eat, and be able to participate in all that life has to offer.  I couldn't even drive my daughter to pre-school without thinking about what fast food place to stop at on the way.  I hid junk food in the casserole dishes in the cabinets so my husband wouldn't know I had it.  I could go on and on, it was so bad...

Even when dieting before, and losing weight successfully (well, until I gained it back), it seemed like food occupied my every thought.  What to eat, what not to eat, when to eat, how much, etc.

I do think that eventually (based on reading the vet's posts) that I'll take pleasure in food again.  But I expect that this will be just another thing in life to enjoy, rather than the only thing in life.  I expect to make healthy choices without a major internal struggle.  And that if I allow myself a treat, I will be satisfied with a normal (or smaller) portion.  

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

frisco
on 10/25/11 2:18 pm

I would just go with it.......

With my surgeons blessings... I extended each phase a week longer.....

Going slow to solids is only a good thing......

Just keep the protein and fluids up.....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

sunnymicki
on 10/25/11 2:55 pm
Yeah, totally going with it...I want it to last as long as possible!

The purees and I have not been great friends.  They are totally unappetizing to me.  I'll make something I thought sounded pretty good and only eat a bite or two.  Thank goodness for protein shakes.

tammy K.
on 10/25/11 2:18 pm - calgary, Canada
I too experienced and continue to experience that on most days, i do have a number of very hungry days in my month, but i am very happy to have food in the backgroud alot more than before... i am thankful that it does not take up all of my waking thoughts to be able to get enough or for it to do what i think it is supposed to do, now you get going and get on living and start filling what food used to take up in your life and fill it with wonderful positive things i am so delighted for you, and welcome to your new life.... will be hoping only wonderful success for you... tammy
  kindness is the nicest thing....          
sunnymicki
on 10/25/11 3:06 pm
I love the idea of framing it as having "food in the background."  What you describe is just what I want.  Thanks for the encouraging words!

2muchfluff
on 10/25/11 2:29 pm
 I think you may have hit on the key.  Eliminating sugar and most carbs.  That's what works for me, anyway.  If I break down and eat something carby, it will make me crave more and be hungry.  If I stay away from them, I have that don't really care attitude about food and only eat because I know I need to.  It is awesome to have this kind of control for once in my life without feeling cheated or hungry.

sunnymicki
on 10/25/11 3:12 pm
Oh yes, my whole attitude about low carb diets has changed.   Pre-op, I would never have thought that the cravings, tiredness, and low energy I felt on and off throughout the day could be blamed on carbs - I just attributed it to being hungry.  I know in maintenance (some day...) I'll re-incorporate more fruits and vegetables, but I'm still going to make it a goal to stay away from the refined carbs.  And keep sweets as a great once in a while treat.  

Firefly48
on 10/26/11 12:09 am
Food will never be the same....but that isn't all bad. I too have to think about eating, and make sure I do some days...I do get hungry but not like before the surgery, but it's not an obsession like it used to be. I agree that getting away from carbs and sugar makes your body crave these things less and less...I was thrilled when I could eat more solid food though and each new food tasted so good at first...hang in there you're doing great!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views