diet coke

shellbell05
on 10/25/11 10:58 pm - MI
Does anyone on here crave DIET COKE? 

4theloveofhorsz
on 10/25/11 11:00 pm - Austin, TX
I do occasionally, but I am afraid of the gas it would create, so I stay away from it..

shellbell05
on 10/25/11 11:01 pm - MI

I am testing my ticker thingy...it is not updating my weight loss correctly...uggggg

2muchfluff
on 10/25/11 11:32 pm
 after you change your ticker you need to hit the refresh button.

shellbell05
on 10/25/11 11:42 pm - MI
Ok I thought that I did that.  It should show that I have lost 74.5 but it is stuck at 61.  I am getting really mad!
Thanks for the help

Crystal M.
on 10/26/11 1:18 am - El Paso, TX
It is showing 74.5. Sometimes it takes a bit of time before displaying correctly.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

Mom4Jazz
on 10/25/11 11:44 pm
I gave up Diet Coke a couple months pre-op because I found out I wouldn't be able to drink it post-op and didn't want to deal with too many changes at once.

Biggest issues early on are the carbonation and the acidity. If it's any help, I know some vets drink sodas in moderation once they get into maintenance. I am 6 months out and haven't had any yet and probably won't for a while.

It's not necessarily a "never again" thing, it's a "bad idea right now, don't push the envelope, don't rush things" thing. I do find it comforting to tell myself on certain foods that it's not "never" it's "not right now".

I've learned to tell when my stomach is completely empty and my pyloric valve is wide open (usually takes at least an hour after I eat, usually more). If I were to try a diet coke when I get to maintenance, that's when I might try it.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

dec721
on 10/26/11 12:12 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
The short answer to your question is yes.  But that is after I "fell off the wagon." 

I was never a regular soda drinker pre-op, although I enjoyed an occasional Coke as much as the next gal; so when I was sleeved, I just didn't think about them any more.  I knew they were not on my list of things I could have, and the diet ones are horrible for us, so I just wrote them off for life.

Well....

I got sick about a year and a half post-op (nothing to do with wls), lost an alarming amount of weight, and spent a month in the hospital and a nursing home.  They started giving me Cokes to get some calories in me.  Hey, my stomach didn't explode after all! ... and they tasted really good!

Now I'm hooked on them.  Mostly diet but the occasional real Coke.  I plead with you, do NOT give in to the temptation.  They are not healthy for us, and didn't we have this surgery to get healthy??  I would give 'most anything to have never drunk that first Coke.

(Now I know plenty of folks here drink soda and do just fine with them, so don't flame me, but the above is just my two cents )
--Dorothy 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

shortnwide
on 10/26/11 12:54 am
I was addicted to Diet Coke drinking no less than 2 liters a day.  I saw 2 youtube postings about 3 months before my surgery and I haven't touched one since and thankfully have had no desire to. The biggest thing that turned me completely off to it was hearing it would stretch my new pouch after surgery.  No more soda's for me.
Short-n-Wide
sourcherriex
on 10/26/11 1:50 am - CA
 I think that most of the time that's just what it is - a craving. It's rarely as good when you've actually got it in front of you. I've heard of a lot of people craving soda and then 1 sip and they are grossed out, lol.
 ~Marisa~

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 459 views