Hair loss & hair color

angieb77
on 10/27/11 6:40 am - Blaine, MN
So I am in the active stage of losing my hair.  I am losing big piles of hair every morning after my shower when I comb my hair.  I knew this was to be expected and I know it is only temporary.  My hair was on the fine/thin side to begin with so it sucks that I am thinning out even more.  My question is do I dare cut, color and highlight my hair this weekend?  Will that make the hair loss worse?

HW: 375 SW: 325 CW: 263 GW: 160
Pre-Surgery WL: 50lbs

emelar
on 10/27/11 6:57 am - TX
Cutting into a shorter style with some layers will make it look fuller.  I've colored my hair regularly since surgery.  I lost my hair and it's growing back.  Coloring doesn't have any effect on the process.
onehappygirl
on 10/27/11 7:29 am, edited 10/27/11 7:29 am
I am 9 months out. Still have large patches of baldness, but alot of frizzies coming in. I think the best advice given on here, besides getting your protein and supplements in, is to get in the shower and let the water pound on your scalp. The heat acts like a massage and it stimulates follicle growth. A doctor told a gal on here to do that. I let my hair grow, I just needed the extra to move around to cover the spots. And I do color, but it takes every bit of good texture and good curl out of my hair, so it is a double-edged sword for me. Good luck, and don't forget cute berets.
BETHC500
on 10/27/11 7:38 am
Why is hairloss expected? I thought it was related to not enough protein after surgery?
Stephanie M.
on 10/27/11 9:12 am
Nope. Nobody knows why it happens, but it's a known side effect of extreme weight loss, anesthesia, and general surgery. Google Telogen Effluvium. Nothing helps it. You'll lose a lot, it'll grow back. Sucky, but tolerable.

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

peeches35
on 10/27/11 11:05 am
VSG on 04/03/12
I WAS TOLD NOT EVERYONE LOSE THEIR HAIR AND IF YOU GET ENOUGH PROTEIN AND VITAMINS YOU WONT LOSE YOUR HAIR
Stephanie M.
on 10/27/11 11:24 am
Not everyone does lose hair. It happens to about 1/3 of WLS patients. Doctors have lots of theories about exactly why it happens, but nobody knows for sure. I've heard hormones, lack of protein, lack of iron, malnutrition and anesthesia side effects.

Take your vitamins and eat your protein. Take some extra Biotin and use Nioxin if you want to. It may or may not help. The point is that nobody seems to know why it happens, and there is a sizable group of people on this board who have done all of those things and lost hair anyway. It may or may not happen to you. Just don't be surprised if it does happen to you and don't panic.

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

jennifer K.
on 10/27/11 9:49 am - OH
i am starting to lose my hair too. I also have fine hair - but a lot of it. my hairstylist told me not to worry and that it was fine to cut/color and that if I was nervous about seeing too much scalp to get the joan river's hair powder to fill it in. I haven't gotten to that point yet - but I definitely lose quite a bit more through out the day then I ever had before. If that is my only complication from surgery is some hair loss - then I will take it! Good luck - thank goodness it is going to get cold so we can look ok wearing hats to cover up!
Jennifer
HW:330, Class W: 300  SW: 279 (7/13)
1m: 257 - 22 lbs/ 2m: 241 - 17 lbs/ 3m 231 - 10 lbs/ 4m  221 - 10 lbs/ 5m 210 -11lbs

BethR311
on 10/27/11 10:54 am - Fort Wayne, IN
I've had thinning hair for years. Supposedly, coloring your hair "roughs up" the hair shaft and makes it a bit thicker. My hair is a mousy brown so I would color it unless it did drastic damage.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
Soosy
on 10/27/11 11:03 am - TX
I'm using Nioxin Hair system, in preparation for the thinning stage. It is the one thing I'm not looking forward to! I have fine/thin hair as it is and have used the Nioxin system in the past. It's supposed to stimulate the follicle and encourage hair growth. I've noticed my hair appears healthier and to grow faster when I get it cut regularly.
There are also supplements you can take -Biotin for instance is good for the hair.
~Susan
http://samesoosy.blogspot.com
VSG: September 13, 2011   HW:285    SW:253

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views