Question

Mrsdwhite
on 10/29/11 6:19 am
I'm having surgery on Nov.1st.  I was put on a low carb and high protein diet for 10 days.  My question is was the average amount of weight that should be lost before surgery, I know it's to shrink the liver just wondering how many pounds should be lost?  Thank you in advance.
Melookingforward
on 10/29/11 6:41 am
I guess your doctor could tell you for sure what they want you to lose.  I was on the pre-op diet for 14 days and lost 10 lbs (surprised me).  I think your current weight could affect how much you need to lose.  I have read that some people have to follow the pre-op 4 or 6 weeks.

Good luck with your surgery!

Best of luck with life! 
Marie Jensen *melookingforward*

Melanie D.
on 10/29/11 8:51 am
I lost 12lbs
Ladydivigirl
on 10/29/11 8:52 am
It depends on the individual...I lost 26 lbs on my three week liquid diet...My doctor told me to do two, but I did three. Glad I did....

"The will of God will not take me where the GRACE of God cannot protect me!"    
USAF Wife
on 10/29/11 10:35 am
I didn't lose any weight, and there was no magic number given to me to lose.

It was strictly to help remove/shrink the fatty deposits on the outside of the liver so the surgeon would have an easier time moving it out of the way with the liver trochar.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

MYLIFEJOURNEY
on 10/29/11 10:38 am
Hello MRsdwhite.  I understand that the doc wants your liver to be small as it can for the procedure.  I hear that the norm is 10lbs...but it may just depend on YOU. Maybe, if you needed to lose a certain amount, the doc would have put you on a longer pre-op....which by the way was pretty hard for me to do, but I did it!!!  I KNOW YOU CAN TOO. Stay positive...so, if they didn't tell you how many LBs should be lost, well then sounds to me like there is not a set amount...just do your best, and you'll be your best.  kudos by the way for finally getting to have the VGS.  It took me over a year, but finally, just had mine, Monday 10-24-11...so happy, you will be too. Any questions or advice you can give to me, please feel free to befriend me, I will accept. Take care.

newme2011-2012
on 10/29/11 10:47 am
I was told to do a 2week pre-op and should usually people lose 10-13 pounds...
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

BETHC500
on 10/29/11 11:49 am
I needed to lose 5% which was 14 lbs. I was told not to lose much more than that because then my BMI would fall below the insurance cut off. So I dont have to have do the liquid diet for two weeks before surgery just maintain. Also I did decide to do clear liquids for two days before just to clean out. 
lovetoread
on 10/29/11 12:20 pm - East Amherst, NY
Hi!

I am also having surgery on Nov. 1 and have been on South Beach Phase 1 for the past week to avoid a fatty liver. I didn't get the impression that any certain amount of pounds should be lost - I think the main thing is to shrink that liver!
HW 282
CW 251
GW 145

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views