Went to all-day surgical prep class - wasn't nervous before but now I am!

smcinmiami
on 11/8/11 7:33 am - FL
 My surgery is next week, and today I attended an all-day class required by my hospital.  It was very informative (if not overwhelming).  Much of what I was told I'd already read about on this board, so I spent the day grateful for all of the help and information you all have given me already.  

A few new things I learned today were that, because my surgeon is "old school" and "meticulous" (bariatric coordinator's words) I WILL wake up with an NGT tube and a drain.  I guess I wasn't anticipating those two things and now I am bit freaked out.  If any of you have had the experience of either the NGT or the drain, can you share how you did with them?  DId they cause more pain than anticipated?  Some questions I have

1.  when you went home with the drain, how long until it was removed? 
2. Did the drain interfere with you being able to sleep?  Did it help to sleep in a recliner while you had the drain?  
3. if you had an ngt tube, how long after surgery was it removed?  

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer

Sarah
Paige V.
on 11/8/11 7:40 am - Gainesville, FL
I didnt have either for surgery, however I have had an NG tube in the past...and its no fun. It really sucks going in, thankfully you will be asleep for that- its just uncomfortable while in, and hurts for a quick second when they pull it out, however after that its just sweet relief =) Hope that helps some.

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

SassyItalian
on 11/8/11 7:42 am, edited 11/7/11 7:43 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Just wanted to pop in, I havent heard of anyone having an NG tube post op but there are some that definitely have had drains.

I did not have drains with my VSG but had 2 this week put in with my plastic surgery. My drains were placed thursday and removed monday. They arent painful, but a bit of a nuisance. Sleeping on one of those recliner type pillows with the arms was best for me with the drains to keep me in position.

Plus it keeps you from going on your side or tummy which will probably be uncomfortable for a few weeks. Many people say they enjoy sleeping in a recliner for the first week or so post op. My bed was fine for me as long as I have that pillow with the side arms.

The worst part about the drains is removing them. It doesnt hurt per se but its quite a creepy feeling when they pull them out, like feeling a worm under your skin.

And such is the price of beauty and health!!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

kimberleyann
on 11/8/11 8:00 am - Kingston, NS, Canada
Had the drain for 2 days post op, it wasn't painful just uncomfortable/nuisance.  Once it was out no problems at all. Sorry never had NG tube so I can't help.  Good luck!

ChangingNow
on 11/8/11 8:54 am - OH
I had an intubation tube during surgery.  I have a very vague memory of waking up in recovery and trying to pull it out, then I fell asleep again.  By the time I woke up in my hospital room the tube was out.  So I think it was in for only an hour or two after surgery.  There was no pain.

My drain was in about 3 days, maybe a bit less, and removed before I left the hospital.  I was sleeping on my back in the hospital.  There was no pain associated with it.

Ii prefer to sleep on my stomach, but had trouble moving myself so, once home, I slept on my back or side - either way propped up with pillows.

It is good that they are telling you everything that might happen. 

VSG on 05/03/2011, SW 255, CW 140, 5'6" female
Body by Sauceda on 11/30/2012, LBL, BL/BA, long thighs, arms, neck

tman0730
on 11/8/11 8:56 am
I did not have NG tube but did have a drain.  It was placed during surgery on Monday and removed on Saturday.  (Should have been Friday but my Dr had an emergency so we went on Sat)  I wasn't painful but did cause some discomfort.  I felt like a new person once the drain was removed.  I did find it helpful to sleep in the Chase lounge.  I am a stomach/side sleeper so not being able to do that was hard so sitting up helped keep me off my sides.  

Lynn
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13  
HW 270 Pre-OP 263 SW 256 CW 193 GW 155

Talmani
on 11/8/11 9:54 am - Phoenixville, PA
I am totally more freaked out about the ng tube now : (. I should learn not to google stuff. I hope it will not be as bad as I think that it will be.
46_11tobeme
on 11/8/11 12:02 pm - NJ
 That does sound very conservative - has your surgeon done many sleeves? I had no drain and have never heard of anyone having an NGT from this surgery or RNY.  If it is something you have to deal with just remember that it will be over in a few days and you will have pain meds and be sleeping a lot.  I had a hard time in the hospital with nausea and vomiting but it was only for 2 days and I spent much of it in a fog. You will get through it and come out happy you did this. Good luck with the surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 406 views