I need crunchy food ideas!

sunnymicki
on 11/14/11 7:15 am
I really miss crunching food.  Think crackers, tortilla chips, crunchy cereal, nuts, salads with lots of crunchy stuff...sigh.  I don't crave the taste of the particular food so much as I do the crunch. 

But I haven't really found anything that fits into my diet at this point (ie, low carb).  Does anyone have ideas or recipes for high protein/low carb foods with good crunch?

I can't have things almonds or crackers in my house because I *know* I will not be able to control my portions.  So eating, say six almonds or two crackers and stopping would just not work for me.

Is there such thing as a filling and crunchy food?

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Elaine2
on 11/14/11 7:30 am - Atlanta, GA
I don't know if this is what you're looking for but---Go to Amazon and check out Just the Cheese
snack product. They're like little cheese cracker without the cracker. Actually baked cheese that you can do at home but crunchier and packaged so you can put it in the car, desk, etc.
I think, 16 little pack in a box---75 cal, 5 protein and 1 carb. (I'm doing this from memory).

Also, I take Hormel Turkey pepperoni, put it on a paper towel, zap it, blot and zap again. Kind of crispy. Take a cheese stick and slice it down for lunch or a snack.

Just some suggestions. I would also love to keep a can of almonds but can't do it!

scorp2413
on 11/14/11 7:30 am - orchard park, NY
You can do parmesan crisps. There was a recipe on the board a couple of days ago. It was also on Cooking.com. All it meted parm cheese that is crispy like a cracker.

Laura2112
on 11/14/11 7:48 am - Austin, PA
 I just made some Cheddar cheese crisps, crunchy, yummy and protein packed.

5'2" HW: 282.2 SW 247.80 
jacreasy
on 11/14/11 7:56 am
VSG on 04/23/12
 How did  you make them? 
USAF Wife
on 11/14/11 7:57 am
I still eat these ALL the time.

You can form them over the ends of shot glasses to make little "boats" and you can stuff them with meat, greek yogurt dip, anything pretty much.

I prefer to make mine with asiago, parmesan or romano cheese and I add all sorts of flavorings/seasonings like Lemon pepper, garlic pepper, creole/cajun seasoning etc. For a sweet/savory treat, you can add splenda and cinnamon. Make sure to add the spices/seasonings before baking them.

You can also form big crisps over a rolling pin to make little taco shells.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Laura2112
on 11/14/11 7:59 am - Austin, PA
 I just throw a bit of shredded cheese on a parchment on a safe dish in the micro for 45 seconds.

5'2" HW: 282.2 SW 247.80 
atlanta_living
on 11/14/11 8:19 am
PORK RINDS!  This is my go-to snack when I need a little crunch and they come in a variety of flavors.

One serving of pork rinds contains 9 grams of protein. with 0 grams of carbohydrates and approximately 80 calories.  Facts label for a serving of pork rinds shows that, of the 5g of total fat, 2.5g are monounsaturated (the good fat kind like olive oil), .5g is polyunsaturated, 2g are saturated, and they have 0g trans fat.

~Helen~
“You can suffer the pain of change or suffer remaining the way you are.?  ~Joyce Meyer~

Ht 5'0" /Consult Wt: 214 /Surg Wt: 205 /Goal Wt: 125 / Current Wt: 119       
carrie E.
on 11/14/11 8:42 am - Mt. Pearl, Canada
I make a water bottle of crystal light and make my own popsicles from them, crunchy and only a few calories per popsicle.....you can add the tasteless protein to the water so you get your protein requirements. :)
Mom4Jazz
on 11/14/11 8:54 am
Cheese crisps:

You need shredded cheese and parchment paper (not wax paper). Put parchment paper on a microwave safe plate. Put a heavy tablespoon of cheese on the parchment and spread it out so it's about 3 1/2" in diameter (evenly spread, not piled in the middle). Microwave for 30 to 60 seconds - the cheese should sound crisp when you tap it.

Tastes like cheese crackers, but it's just cheese.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views