Sleeved on Wednesday - wondering if I'm overdoing it

smcinmiami
on 11/18/11 10:25 pm - FL
Hi all -

I made it through the surgery!  I was sleeved on Wednesday and had a tough couple of nights in the hospital.  My surgeon does an NG tube with every sleeve, and that made for one horrible night.  My biggest problem was nausea, which I was told was to be expected with sleeves, moreso than RNY.  I was dry-heaving for 2 days.  Friday morning it seemed to calm down a little bit, and I went home.  Now back at home, taking the lortab liquid every 6 hours.  I am dipping on a thin protien shake right now, wondering if I'm overdoing it.  My doctor has me on full liquids for the next 2 weeks, so I'm allowed the protein shake, but I read about so many other newley sleeved who can't take in anything bu****er or crystal lite.  I'm not having any problems swallowing, I just take little sips every couple of minutes.  It hasn't been much of a problem, although I know if I took a bigger gulp there would be pain.  

It's tough not to compare your experience with others, you know?  I am not even stepping on the scale until my post-op visit next week.  

Anyway, thanks for all the support - can't wait to see what happens next!

dec721
on 11/18/11 10:30 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
It sounds like you are doing the right thing -- sip sip sip on that thin shake, but make sure that you are also sipping clear liquids such as water, tea, Crystal Light, etc., so that you don't get dehydrated.  Your first priority in these first few weeks, in my opinion, is not to get dehydrated.  The protein numbers will be easier to reach after about a month.   Congrats on your new sleeve!
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

lucy2e
on 11/18/11 10:30 pm - Laurel, MD
 Congratulations on being sleeved - welcome to the loser's bench!

It doesn't sound like you are overdoing it - believe me, your sleeve will let you know if you do.  Just keep sipping and get plenty of water or sf gatorade to stay hydrated!

Remember the newbie mantra - sip, walk, rest, repeat!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

ready2Bhealthy2
on 11/18/11 10:32 pm
Your experience sounds very similar to mine.  I know the pain of dry heaving after surgery all too well.  As for the protein shake, if your surgeon says it's okay then go with it.  As long as you feel okay drinking it then follow your surgeon's plan.  Everyone one on here is different because we all had different surgeons.  I was on clears for two weeks and then advanced to full liquids, but some people are actually eating before they leave the hospital.  Just listen to your body and your surgeon.  Welcome to the loser's bench...there's a seat right next to me!
HW286/SW269/1mo-20lbs/2 mo-9lbs/3 mo-10lbs

1st Goal - Loss of 50lbs
PsychoWriter
on 11/18/11 10:47 pm - St Petersburg, FL
I have surgery on the second of this month which was on a wednesday and I went home on a friday. my surgeon had me on clear liquids for 3 days and then for the next 10 days I was on a full liquid diet. I was doing so well and I still am going through things quickly and I'm doing so well with being able to take things in that i was worried something was wrong. by iday 4 post op I was taking in at least 100 to 120 ounces of water a day and at least 60 to 80 grams of protein a day in the form of protein shakes. I hear from everyone on this site about how much trouble they have getting everything in so that's why I was worried that it was so easy for me.
this just kind of proof that everybody is different and recovers at different rates I would say you're on the right path just take it slow. best of luck and hope this helps

*Now is blessed, the rest...remembered. -Jim Morrison*

Crystal M.
on 11/18/11 11:12 pm - El Paso, TX
I was on three protein shakes a day since the day after the surgery. They even brought some to me in the hospital. Even though I was still on clear liquids, my doctor makes an exception for the shakes.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

NIQAABI
on 11/19/11 12:57 am
Hey sleeve sister, glad to know that your doing well. I am also on full liquids for the next 2 weeks, surgery was easier than i thought and tha gas is almost gone. keep me updated.

smcinmiami
on 11/19/11 1:34 am - FL
Hey NIQABBI - glad to hear your recovering well.  My gas is far from gone, but I am handling it.  Lets keep each other updated on progress!!

SuzanneR
on 11/19/11 12:59 am - Randolph, NJ
My surgeoan likes pts to be on only clears for the first week after surgery and does not recommend an NG tube. As an RN I am a little confused as to why your surgeon would want an NG tube with every sleeve procedure...?? Sounds a little drastic to me. But if he says you can have a thin protein shake and you are tolerating it well then so be it. i would definitely be concentrating on clears also...most important to remain hydrated.

smcinmiami
on 11/19/11 1:36 am - FL
Thanks SuzanneR - not sure why my surgeon insisted on the NG tube, but he does one and a JP drain with every surgery.  I asked him specifically about the NG and he said it would help keep nausea to a minimum.  If what I experienced was a minimum, I'd hate to see what maximum looks like!  The NG tube was definitely the worst part of recovery for me, and not something I'd repeat anytime soon if I could avoid it, but it's behind me now.  Focusing on clears, maybe trying 1 small serving of protein shake per day.  Thanks for all the advice!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views