Help: My Addictions!!!

Mash84
on 11/26/11 3:24 pm - Chicago, IL
VSG on 06/20/11 with
Hello there OH!!!

Sorry, I hardly blog, I should be far more smaller than I am.  Well, currently, Im 5 months out & I've lost 60-65 lbs total.  My weight fluctuates all the time, my weight have been stuck between 271-275lbs for the last 3 months, I started at 335lbs the day of surgery.  It's said to said I'm addicted to alcohol & dill pickle sunflower seeds.  I drink every damn night, it has become a "must need" kind of thing.  Has anyone else became addicted to alcohol?  What can I possibly do about it?  By the way, I will be posting pictures shortly.

In the meantime, I appreciate any advice you'll have to offer

Thanks 

Mash

frenchgrapes
on 11/26/11 4:03 pm - TX
Sorry I can't be of any help.  Did you drink alcohol before your surgery?  Or is this something totally out of the blue?
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
rosapain
on 11/26/11 4:24 pm - Amityville, NY
Hi, Ma****hink 60lbs is alot of weight to drop. Its a whole person,I want you to know you are doing great really,and I think all of us one time or another had to deal with our weight fluctuateing its part of journey.Now the drinking part put the brakes on that you have come to far I seriously feel you should seek counseling.Mash another 4or5 month from now we here on OH, your family and friends dont want you to have any regrets, you are a stronger then that reflect back to the start of your journey and how so very much you wanted  a new start you are bless you were giving that new start dont  waste it your priceless.Please give it everthing you have and more.We truely care keep us posted....pain
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/11 4:43 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Hey babygirl..couple of things..

First 60 pounds is nothing to sneeze at but the thing is, your drinking every night is hurting your liver while you lose fast, and probably screwing with your weight loss. Its empty calories that your body runs through first and then it screws with a lot of our metabolism afterwards.

That alcohol is screwing with you though, and the things up there are nothing compared to the damage it can do if you continue to be its ***** babygirl.  You did this, I assume, to be happy, healthy, and whole - and alcoholism is not going to get you that either.  Yes, crossover addictions are a huge big fat deal with all folks who lose weight so quickly. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/crossingtotransferaddiction s/

There is a thread over on the DS board that gives a lot of resources also.  You can also ask on the main board.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4473195/Transfer-addict ion-resources-please/

Be good to you girlie, I am proud on you for seeing you need help and asking for it! 
ozthewiz
on 11/26/11 6:34 pm - IL
VSG on 09/28/17
first of all . congratulations for getting to where you are so far. you are down 60 lbs. and I think you are past the half way mark now. so keep moving forward. alcohal is a bad addiction but with Gods help and support from your family you can quit it. 

p.s. Can you tell me how everything was .I am scheduled to have my vsg with your doctor in January. 

there is no love in the bottle. only lies from the devil. sober up and enjoy life. 
you can do it. You have already done something harder then that .
                       Please always consult your doctor first and only take my advise as a suggestion.  
BethR311
on 11/27/11 1:12 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Dear, you know this, but alcohol is just empty calories, and those dill pickle sunflower seeds sound awesome, but they have a lot of salt, and that slows my weight loss down something wicked. If you need help to get alcohol out of your life, find it, get it. You've come too far to let stuff like this get in your way.

Open yourself to possibility and possibility will present itself.
LaughingCow
on 11/27/11 2:03 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
Congratulations on your 60 lbs!  That is a big accomplishment.

You definitely need to nip the alcohol problem before it takes over your life the way eating did in the past.  Do you have AA in your area?  Is there a healthy habit that you could work to transfer your addiction to, like Zumba or something like that?

I don't know much about alcohol abuse or alcoholism, but I know that admitting there is a problem is an important first step, so pat yourself on the back while you're taking steps to put this behind you. 
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 2:25 am
Brandilynn gave you some great links. Please get into treatment for the alcohol abuse as soon as you can.. unfortunately transfer addictions are very seldom talked about, but very powerful and common issues post-op. For many of us, either extensive self-help/mental work or therapy is essential.. If you were not in counseling pre-op, you may want to consider that too.. it may take a few approaches from different angles to get a handle on it and stop it, but you can do it! Don't let it overtake you, good on you for coming here and asking about it! Wishing you all the strength you need to beat it!
mandyc1975
on 11/27/11 2:59 am - Richardson, TX
VSG on 09/20/11 with
I was a social drinker. I drank with my friends a couple of times a week but I haven't had a drink since before my preop diet and I will not do it again until I am atleast close to maintenance because of the empty calories. If you truly have a problem, get some help. Go to AA or find some other support system. I consider myself lucky because I have a substance abuse problem. I have been clean for 15 years and only began to even drink socially about 7 years ago so I am not being judgemental. I know how hard it is to quit an addiction, so please stop it now. It will only get harder. Your health and your weight loss depends on it. Some people say, surgery is the easy way out but the pain, ect. that most of us went through sais it is definately not "easy" and I would hate for you to go through all this and then have it not work because of alchohol.

Good Luck with everything,

Mandy
Do not ask God to guide your footsteps if you're not willing to move your feet.

9/4 (pro op) 299 lbs - 9/20 (surgery day) 285 lbs - 10/4 268 lbs - 11/7 251 lbs- 12/8 239 lbs - 1/9 222 lbs - 2/7 214 lbs - 3/3 202 lbs - 3/19 194 lbs ... 9/20/2012 - 142 lbs
(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 4:52 am
One simple thing is to just be open and honest with everyone. Your doctors, your family, and your friends.  No one wants to see you fail, and everyone wants you succeed.  They all can rally around you and give you the support you need.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views