Working out slowing weight loss???

scalewarfare11
on 11/30/11 9:09 pm
VSG on 08/22/11 with
I'm not sure if I'm made, or frustrated, or what, but I think I've hit my first stall.  I've been going up and down a pound for a couple of weeks now.  What's interesting is this coincides with me starting to work out a lot more.  Between moving houses, starting to get serious about my working out, I've been super active the last two weeks, only to see no movement on the scale.

I have been getting 75+ grams of protein a day, carbs are
Blog: http://adauntingtaleofscalewarfare.com
Surgery Date:
8/22/2011
with Dr. Moazzez of Blue Point Surgical Group

tripmom02
on 11/30/11 9:24 pm - NJ
 I am with you on this one! I got down to 183, then I started a harder workout and jumped up to 185 and have been going up and down between them for something like 2 weeks now. It's making me kind of crazy, but I know what's going on and I know I just need to suck it up and keep doing what I am doing LOL

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

scalewarfare11
on 11/30/11 9:26 pm
VSG on 08/22/11 with
Opps *mad not made!

Tripmom02, I guess we can be sisters in frustration then.  I'm wondering if it'd help to add 100 calories back.  For now I'm just going to wait it out.
Surgery Date:
8/22/2011

Vivian Prouty
on 11/30/11 9:41 pm - Fort Worth, TX
 With the increased work outs you are probably buliding muscle which weights more than fat.    Just keep on doing what your doing and unless you are at your goal weight your weight should still keep moving downward.   Also check your measurements.   You could possibly be losing inches.    Good luck and congrats on the workouts.    That is one of the main keys to keeping the weight off once you hit your goal.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

Stacy160
on 11/30/11 9:42 pm
Stalls are going to happen whether you're working out or not--the payoff is usually a large drop on the scale when it's over.  It all evens out in the end!

If you're doing strength training, you might just be holding on to a little extra water.  The muscles will hold more fluid because strengthening occurs when you create little micro-tears in the muscle fibers--they fill back in with MORE muscle cells, which is what you want.  Don't worry, you're completely normal!

HW 258    SW 246.4    CW 166.8 GW 160    
                     (reflects loss from all-time high weight in November 2009)
scalewarfare11
on 11/30/11 9:46 pm
VSG on 08/22/11 with
Stacy-I am doing strength training too.  Kettlebells once or twice a week (and wow is my bum sore!).  Your response makes total sense, thanks for your input!!
Surgery Date:
8/22/2011

MyOwnSunshine
on 11/30/11 9:53 pm
Maybe try bumping up your calories by 100-200 on the days you work out.  This has helped me break stalls in the past.  I find that I'm hungrier when I work out hard, and if I don't allow for a few more calories a few times a week, I end up very fatigued with tired, weak muscles.  The added calories haven't seemed to hinder my weight loss at all, and every time I've upped my calories for a few days during a stall, my stall has broken.  Might be coincidence, but it hasn't hurt.

It is actually very difficult to add significant muscle mass when you're losing weight -- it takes a lot of calories and weight lifting to gain 5 pounds of muscle.  It is most likely added water, if your muscles are sore, combined with your metabolism adjusting to the added demand for energy combined with low calories.

I really like reading the Exercise and Fitness section on myfitnesspal -- some of the people on that board are very knowledgeable and I've learned a lot there.

" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
scalewarfare11
on 11/30/11 9:58 pm
VSG on 08/22/11 with
Great information MyOwnSunshine!  I'm loving MFP, but I havent checked out the forums.  I will need to do that.  Maybe next week I'll do a test and see if 100-200 calories more on the days I do lots of cardio helps out!  (Crazy me likes to test things in week long increments, ha!)
Surgery Date:
8/22/2011

vacationlover
on 11/30/11 10:02 pm
slimpickins5280
on 11/30/11 10:27 pm - CO

Take your measurements when you hit a stall. You might not be losing Lbs, but I'll bet you are losing inches.

Also remember that the best way to burn fat is to workout. Building muscle burns and exercising more fat than anything else. That said, if you don't want to look like a massive body builder,make sure you are doing more reps with a little less weight. This will help you build lean muscle.

You need to make sure you are getting in enough water. It's suggested that you add an 8 oz cup of water for every 30 mins of exercise - that is over and above the required amount of water. It can seem impossible for some people, but if you are good with water it's not big deal.

You might want to check out the Exercise & Fitness forum here at OH.

Good luck and don't be frustrated. You are doing the right thing for your body.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 148 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views