question about slowing loss - could be the 3 week stall

smcinmiami
on 12/5/11 12:16 am - FL
Hi all - I'm back at work for the first time since surgery.  Doing well so far. 

I was weighing daily for the first 10 days or so after surgery, and was recording really good losses.  Usually 1-1.5 lbs per day.  My scale went a little wonky though, and in order to not drive myself crazy, I stopped doing that at the two week mark, and vowed to weigh only on Monday mornings.  So my last recorded weigh was Nov. 30.  I weighed today, Dec. 5, and was only down 2 lbs in those 5 days.  I don't know if my disappointment is legit.  Could I be entering the 3 week stall?  In that time, I transitioned from full liquids to mushies.  I track EVERYTHING on a daily basis, and average between 600-650 cals, 30-40 carbs and 60-65 grams of protein daily.  I'd like to increase the protein, but am finding it hard to do without increasing the calories.  I think once I am eating dense protein that should be easier.  I've also started walking 1-2 miles about 3 times a week. 

Overall I am pleased with my progress.  I'm down 34 lbs from my highest weight and 20 lbs from the surgery, so I am not complaining at all, but am just trying to anticipate what I need to do, if anything, to continue. 

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sarah

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/11 12:24 am - LA
You are doing awesome!!  Just remember that when you start to exercise that your muscles will retail water for healing.  Just keep what you are doing and it will work. 

Good luck! 
BiscuitNYC
on 12/5/11 2:32 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
 If you graph your weight loss, it's going to look more like a cross section from a set of stairs moreso than a straight line.  Everyone stalls, which is partly due to the water the glycogen in your muscles needs as mentioned above, and your body adjusting to the reduced caloric intake.  If you get stuck in a stall, a good idea is to radically change your diet for a day or two -- flip the carb and protein intake, or go back to protein shakes for a day -- just something to shock your system a bit to get your body out of complacency.  Also, it's a good idea to keep a food journal -- you might be too new from surgery, but the further out we go, the more of a chance we have to slip into old habits or creep up in our consumption, so a stall is a good time to reevaluate how much we're taking in and get back on track.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views