Sleeved Tuesday and home a day early

kch561
on 12/7/11 9:51 pm - CT
Hi everyone,

I am soooo happy!  I was sleeved Tuesday at 7:30 am and feel great! So great, in fact, that my surgeon discharged me from the hospital at 6 pm last night instead of 11 am this morning (I requested it, and the PAs and nurses emphatically agreed I was doing fantastic).

On a scale of 1-10, my pain (discomfort) has been maybe a 2, and I'm not even on pain medication anymore.  I've been following the advice I got here and have been sipping, resting, and walking religiously, starting in the recovery room (I have sleep apnea, so I had to stay in recovery 5 hours).

I also have no problem getting my liquids in. 

Overall, I am just ecstatic things are going so well -- I honestly figured I'd be having those "OMG, what have I done to myself?" brief moments of buyer's remorse and more discomfort/pain, but I'm thrilled to be doing so well. 

I realize not everyone has it as easy as me, but for you newbies to the site who are wondering how bad surgery and post-op are going to be, keep in mind that some people have no complications whatsoever.

I just want to thank everyone for their support and encouragement -- not to mention answers to all my questions!

Move on over, I'm joining you on the losers' bench!

Kelly

Sleeva
on 12/7/11 9:57 pm - GA
VSG on 07/19/12
That is wonderful, so happy for you! what size is your bougie?, I will start my process in Jan..
at about the same weight you started cant wait to see pics
   ROMANS 12:1 
   I beseech you therefore brethern, by the mercies of God,that you present your bodies a  living sacrifice,holy and acceptable to God which is your reasonable service.

kch561
on 12/7/11 10:12 pm - CT
Thanks so much. I will be happy to post some pics in a few months (I did remember to take my measurements and photos the day before surgery, so I'll have my "before" info for comparison purposes).

My surgeon used a size 40 bougie on me; I asked him about this before surgery, and said that he has found in his experience that anything smaller tends to create too much restriction/nausea.  But this varies among surgeons, and the difference between bougies is quite small.

Good luck with your journey; mine was a 7-month journey, as my insurance required six months of nutritionist visits prior to submitting for approval.  Don't worry -- the time does go fast!

Kelly

ducie77
on 12/7/11 10:12 pm - TX
 I am sooooo happy to here that! I am glad you are doing great! You just gave me a little more courage for Monday! Please keep us posted!  Thanks
Trust And Believe That God Never Fails!        
kch561
on 12/7/11 11:38 pm - CT
You're very welcome! I wish you all the best on Monday and will pray for a complication-free surgery and recovery for you.

(deactivated member)
on 12/7/11 11:00 pm
VSG on 02/16/12
kch561
on 12/7/11 11:41 pm - CT
Thanks, Naomi.  I hope and pray your upcoming surgery and recuperation next month go as smoothly as mine did.  Best of luck to you.

Lisa J.
on 12/7/11 11:25 pm - OK
I realize that many people having WLS have never had any type of surgery prior to this life changing event--and it is scary to a lot of people. I get that. And I also realize there are people who have anxiety about the hospital scene, who have "white coat disease", and adults who cry just at the thought of having an injection.

THE BEST thing you can do for yourself is have a great attitude, learn some relaxing techniques if need be, be positive, and I absolutely believe it leads to better postop experiences.

Seeing a great postop story like yours is REALLY helpful to people preparing for their journey, and I wish more people would share. It isn't usually a horror story to have VSG (my own experience was such an easy one), but people do have complications, that's no secret. I just firmly believe in all the positive preparation you can provide yourself helps ease into the days after surgery.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK and congratulations on taking a giant mind-blowing step in your future! And good for you taking your photos and measurements--becuase you will NOT believe the changes you're gonna have. I have a feeling you will ROCK YOUR SLEEVE!!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
kch561
on 12/7/11 11:48 pm - CT
Thanks, Lisa. I couldn't agree more.  I went into this process by deciding to educate myself on all aspects of what would be involved, from pre-op visits, to pre-opdiet, to surgery, to possible complications, to post-op diet, to maintenance.  So when the actual date of surgery was near, I wasn't a nervous wreck.  I had all the faith in the world in my surgeon ('cause I'd asked him and his staff hundreds of questions beforehand!).  My mom, who had RNY 3 years ago, was with me in the hospital, and she remarked today at how positive and relaxed I was during all the admitting/pre-op stuff.  The radiologist who did my swallow/leak test yesterday commented that he was surprised I wasn't crying, as most bariatric patients he sees are very upset on day 2, from the pain and temporary buyer's remorse.  I feel bad for those patients.

Anyway, enough rambling.  Thanks so much for your helpful and encouraging post! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views