Post Surgery How to Eat Question

happyteacher
on 12/9/11 9:15 pm
 Hello,

I just found out that my surgery is the 19th, yea!  The concern is that my appointment for how to eat post surgery is not until the 23rd, and I know when it was first scheduled that was the first available appointment.  Could somebody let me know if I am on the right track or if I am missing something important?  I just want the first 4 days to be done carefully until I get to my appointment in a worse case scenario.  

Here is what I think I know:

1.  No solid foods- keep it liquid.  I loaded up on protein shakes, but not sure of the gram target for the day.

2.  Small sips.

3.  When I finally do eat, chew to the consistency of applesauce and very small bites. No eating for the first 4 days and until somebody tells me it is ok.

4.  Dehydration is to be taken seriously, get the fluids in.

5.  Eat at least 15 minutes after drinking.  Drink at least 30 minutes after eating.

6.  No coffee (as a tear rolls down my fat cheek)

7.  I figure I can ask in the hospital about taking pills.

If I am unable to move up my appointmet I will only do protein shakes or chicken broth,  with sugar free popsicles if drinking proves to be difficult.  Does all this seem right?
dec721
on 12/9/11 9:51 pm - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
First of all, congratulations on being so close to a new life!!  You are doing a wonderful thing for yourself and your loved ones by taking control of the awful health issue of obesity.

Second, I can hardly believe that a surgeon would not give a patient a VERY detailed list of what to eat post-op until four days later!!    You have taken control of the situation, however, by coming up with some very good guidelines for yourself.

My surgeon, Dr. Alvarez, has a very conservative approach to diet post-op, so many people won't have done it this way, but he says clear liquids for a week post-op (water, of course, broth -- chicken was my favorite, sf jello, sf popsicles, Crystal Light, decaf tea, and the clear protein bullets, etc.).

The second and third weeks were full liquids (protein shakes, skim milk and cream soups made with skim milk, etc.).  The fourth week were mushies (blended stuff).

Dr. A also doesn't allow carby things like other surgeons do such as mashed potatoes, oatmeal, etc.  It is protein first and no carby stuff.

Dr. A's plan sure worked for me and was easy to stick with, because the low carb thing kept my insulin stable and I didn't have cravings.

But whatever plan you take, make it your number one goal in life to stay hydrated.  Sip sip sip and walk walk walk that first month especially.  You will do just great!  Best wishes on your journey :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

happyteacher
on 12/10/11 4:56 am
 Thank you so much for the information!  I was not aware to stay away from protein shakes at first, so I am very glad i asked.  My surgeon does not realize that I do not have the appointment, and frankly I don't want to tell them.  The surgery is timed so it falls precisely on my school break, so I don't have to miss school.  I am not shy about asking questions in the hospital, but I do want to stock up before thee surgery.  

What is a "clear protein bullet"??  
Samantha H.
on 12/9/11 10:32 pm - Kuwait City, Kuwait
I am 10 days clear liquid, 10 days full liquid, 10 days puree before moving on to solid food. Here's what I was told, but everyone is different!

1.  No solid foods- keep it liquid.  I loaded up on protein shakes, but not sure of the gram target for the day.
 - I was told NO PROTEIN SHAKES for the first 10 days. Water, Crystal Light powders, broths (chicken, beef, vegetable), and clear juices ONLY.

2.  Small sips.
- Exactly. I tried gulping, bad bad idea.

3.  When I finally do eat, chew to the consistency of applesauce and very small bites. No eating for the first 4 days and until somebody tells me it is ok.
- My doctor is very specific with his eating plan. I will not have food that has to be chewed for 30 days. I cannot even imagine trying to put food in my sleeve right now (I am 4 days post-op)! However, when you can eat again, the rule is CHEW, CHEW, CHEW!

4.  Dehydration is to be taken seriously, get the fluids in.
-I am supposed to aim for 64 oz. of fluids at day at a minimum.

5.  Eat at least 15 minutes after drinking.  Drink at least 30 minutes after eating.
-For me, no liquids 15 minutes before meals and 90 minutes after.

6.  No coffee (as a tear rolls down my fat cheek)
-Coffee is fine. I can have it now but have to make sure it's decaf.

7.  I figure I can ask in the hospital about taking pills.
-No pills for me in the first 30 days. I am taking Nexium daily and have to dissolve it in water before I can take it.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you! There should be a nutritionist in the hospital that can answer questions. Your doctor, while not the most knowledgeable person on the topic of food, may be able to answer some of your questions as well!
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 4:57 am
 Thank you.  Glad you brought up the dissolving medicine- wasn't sure how that worked.  Can I run a multivitamin through a grinder, the dissolve?
jennak88
on 12/9/11 11:00 pm - Anchorage, AK
Ohhh, don't sip thru a straw, they will tell you this. I did this big mistake, this hurts, its like putting extra air in your stomach you don't have... Good luck. See if you can have a list before you go into surgery so you know what you can and can not have.
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 4:58 am
 Yikes, good point.  I drink all my shakes with a straw so that would have been natural for me to reach for one...Thank you!
MyOwnSunshine
on 12/10/11 1:00 am
My surgeon's office is similar -- they give you the information you need for the next step because people get confused with too much information at once.  Actually, people got confused with the amount of information they got, but that's another story.  Some people aren't the brightest bulbs, I've learned through attending the pre-op and post-op classes.  LOL

All you need to know for the first four days is to sip slowly and follow the instructions they gave you on what to drink.  I'm sure they will tell you the next step when you get to your appointment.  Don't worry about eating, how to eat or what to eat until you get there.  Just focus on getting in your fluids first, and then trying to get some protein in.  The fluids are the most important.  Sip as often as you have to in order to get your 64 oz in. 
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
happyteacher
on 12/10/11 5:01 am
 Thank you!  They do actually want the appointmet before, but I recieved a voicemail too late on Friday to make an appointment and when I originally made the appointment a ways back it was the first available, which is now a few days after surgery.  Does Special K protein water count as a first couple days back drink, or should that be avoided like protein shakes?
MyOwnSunshine
on 12/10/11 5:30 am
I was on clear liquids for a week and then allowed to advance my diet as tolerated.  My surgeon was picky about clears, though.  All we could have was Isopure clear protein drinks, water, decaf herbal teas, sugar free jello and broth.  I cheated with a few sugar free popsicles, though.

I'm not sure about Special K protein water.  How many calories and how much protein?
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views