Food fatigue

atomic_bettie
on 12/12/11 1:54 am - OK
I'm stomach is growling, but whenever I think of food....well, meat and veggies in general, I almost feel like gagging.  I've been like this for about the past week and can't seem to find anything that sounds good without it being bogged down in carbs.  Chicken and dumplings sound amazing....must be a weather thing since I haven't really craved carbs in forever.   Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only person that has ever felt this way, but I'm just so bored with food.  I've made almost every single one of Eggface's recipes and have tried different veggies and meat cuts to cut the monotony.  When this happens to you, what do you eat?
Visit my WLS blog:  themisfitscarlett.blogspot.com                                    
Kim_M
on 12/12/11 2:04 am - LaPorte, TX
Dont ask me I am bad !!!LOL I went with a small amount of the chicken and dumplings I eat evrerything well only 1 dumbling .Really I eat what I want just make better choices I stay away from breads this is a life style change for me and it seems to be working.

First month since VSG 33  2nd 14 lbs 3rd12lbs 4th10lbs 5th10lbs 6th 9lbs 7th 13lbs 8th 13 lbs  9th 2 10th 6 11th bounced 175-180 12th  bounced  13th 2 lb cw(164)      
Karen-Adventure
on 12/12/11 2:09 am
I wonder if comfort food is what you are craving if you have tried chili (maybe with not a bunch of liquid) or meatloaf.  They are 2 of my big comfort foods.  I agree that sometimes the food is boring so I try to use lots of spices I like such as curry or red pepper.  I see you had you surgery just a week before mine.

emelar
on 12/12/11 2:25 am - TX
I think it's the change of seasons. 

I was gonna say "chili" too!  I started craving it the minute it started getting cold.  Made myself a big old container full.  I cut up a Hebrew National hot dog in it yesterday, put some cheese and diced onions on top - wonderful!
susanraywilliams
on 12/12/11 2:09 am
I completely understand! If my hubby tries to shove another chicken leg (he loves chicken) in my face, I'll scream!!

Try looking up lowcarb360.com or lowcarb360 on youtube.
Also, I do like to eat stir fry or different vegetable medleys. I just try to make sure I have some sort of meat mixed with it.

I also make a chili w/lean ground beef and add veggies to it...I add veggies for the purpose of vitamins and colon health. I know Dr. B's nutritionists push protein first and I understand why. However, I find it equally important to get certain veggies that are high in vit's into my diet as well. Some real good veggies I eat often are cabbage, broccoli, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, yellow squash, zuchinni, there are others but you get the idea. You might want to research zero calorie foods. They're not really zero cal but they burn more cal's to digest than what you consume. But remember 2 bites of protein to every 1 bite of veggie according to your nut. I really hope this helps because I know it gets monotonous. I do have pics posted on my profile. If you want a step by step recipe for something let me know. Do try that lowcarb360! Have a blessed one!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

atomic_bettie
on 12/12/11 2:18 am - OK
Don't get me started on chicken.   I absolutely hate it now.  I tried making green chile stuffed breasts the other day, and I kept gagging every time I took a bite.  I will try that site....I have to do something.  I am such a foodie and enjoy cooking, but just plain meat and veggie is so lame.  Maybe I will just do protein shakes and oatmeal for a couple of days.  I need inspiration.
Visit my WLS blog:  themisfitscarlett.blogspot.com                                    
susanraywilliams
on 12/12/11 2:40 am
If you love to cook as I do too, EXPERIMENT!! Just keep it healthy. Try different seasonings and such. Oh, BTW...if you like sharp cheddar, there is a reduced fat and it is still low carb cheese. The name is Cabot. I buy it @ Wal-mart here f-2.38.I think it's a 1/2 lb. Just have fun and be open minded!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

sunnymicki
on 12/12/11 2:27 am
I understand where you are coming from!  Nothing has tasted all that fabulous to me since surgery - except my uncle's mashed potatoes and stuffing on Thanksgiving (thankfully that is only food I get once/year!).  Even things that sound great don't end up tasting so great that I am dying to eat them again.  And some things that I eat over and over - I end up developing an aversion to - like eggs right now.  My stomach thinks they are fine, but my head does not.

I haven't found a good solution.  On one hand, I don't want to - because I like eating strictly for nutrition, not for pleasure.  On the other hand, it would be much easier to get my nutrition in if food tasted a little better.  Right now, things that I've been eating are taco salad (with just one or two broken up tostita chips for crunch), tuna salad, these Gortons grilled shrimp I found in the freezer section, chili, different versions of chicken salad, a spinach salad with grilled chicken, cod, tilapia, and salmon.  And Quest protein bars.

On the days I find that I cannot make myself eat enough, I drink a protein shake.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

fypcdqt
on 12/12/11 2:48 am - Cumming, GA
I am in the same boat!  I am allergic to fish so my protein options are limited to red meat, chicken, pork and turkey.  Red meat is still rough on my stomach more days than not unless it's medium, and no one in my family eats medium cooked meat.  Chicken and I are so over with each other.  Some days it's fine, and other days the thought of it makes me want to gag.

The only solution I've found is probably not the healthiest choice (or cheapest!) but I LOVE fondue.  Not the cheese kind that's all sorts of sour and thick, but the kind where you cook your meat in the oil for a few minutes.  I had pork, chicken and beef.  I only ate one piece of chicken b/c even though it was easier on my sleeve, the pork and beef were so delicious I was in heaven and wanted room to have one more bite of each.

I am actually looking into a good fondue set to cook the meat at home.  The meat turns out so tender and juicy...it melts in your mouth and slides into my sleeve with ease.  The pieces are small by design, so it's perfect portions!

Other than that, I am interested in others suggestions, too.  Some days I wonder why I eat at all when nothing seems to want to work.

Amy

breekahouse
on 12/12/11 3:11 am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views