Almost afraid to ask

southtexas
on 12/12/11 10:33 am

Hi everyone! I have not posted for a while on here but, I have a question that I am hoping someone will have the answer to. This may sound really weird and I am hoping that no one responds to my question sarcastically. So, here it goes. I had my surgery done on September 20th. I have lost 38 lbs since surgery and 52 lbs total (since July). Here's the deal. I do not exercise that often (I know, I know) but, I do eat all of my protein and think I am doing pretty well and so does my surgeon.

When I am actually losing lbs, I can feel it. This is where it sounds crazy. My butt and inner thighs get really sore and achy. When this happens, I notice that those are the days that I am really dropping weight. When the soreness stops, the weight loss tapers off. I know this may sound nuts but, this is just a pattern that I have noticed over the past couple of months. 

As weird as this may sound, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or may know why this may be happening. I have not had any change in fluid intake, protein intake, activity level, vitamins...nothing when this happens. 

If anyone else is feeling this, please let me know so I don't feel so crazy. I have looked online trying to find an answer and on here and have not found anything like it.  

ib40
on 12/12/11 10:56 am
It's good to notice these things, I think. I've noticed that my hair falls out more when my weight loss slows down. Why? No idea, but it works that way with me.

I don't think what is happening is dangerous to you; it could just be a physiological reaction to what is occurring in your body. Who knows? I would make a point to measure your butt/thighs, etc. a few days after it occurs and see if there is a difference. It might be fun to track!

southtexas
on 12/12/11 11:02 am
Thank you for your reply! I know that it sounds completely crazy but, it is just something I have noticed. I weigh myself everyday and that is how know that this is happening. I am just curious if anyone else has experienced it. I will do like you suggested and take my measurements when I feel this.

I see that Dr. Hougen is your surgeon. I love, love, love he and Dr. McDaniel's office. Do you live in this area?

ib40
on 12/12/11 12:05 pm
I do. I live in Victoria. Dr. Hougen was fantastic and the surgery was a piece of cake (no pun intended!). There success rate and surgery complication rate is phenomenal. I think we are lucky to live close to doctors who do such a terrific job and have so much experience.

My SIL had the procedure done about 15 months ago in Houston, even though she lives closer to Victoria. She thought Houston doctors would be "better." She has had continued problems throughout the course of her sleeve journey. For example, her initial surgery took almost 4 hours!!!! and no one would tell her why. I told her to get a copy of the surgical report. On the other hand, I've had no complications.

Best of luck to you!

Laura2112
on 12/12/11 11:07 am - Austin, PA
 we have growing pains, why can't we have shrinking pains too?

5'2" HW: 282.2 SW 247.80 
southtexas
on 12/12/11 11:15 am
You know, I never thought of it like that! You make a very good point. You gave me a great idea of what to call it now, "shrinking pains". I love it! 

(deactivated member)
on 12/12/11 11:15 am
southtexas
on 12/12/11 11:26 am
Wow Don! That is one hell of an explanation!

It does make a lot of sense. I never thought that the soreness may be a reaction to the reduced supplies of glycogen. What you are saying is spot-on. I have noticed a weight loss of about 1-2 lbs a week, on average. During the times of the "rapid" loss where I experience muscle aches, I am losing a few lbs a day. 

I appreciate your insight. This was exactly what I was looking for!  

wanttobehalfofme
on 12/12/11 12:45 pm - MI
I was complaining to the hubby a couple weeks ago about my muscles and joints hurt more now than when I was 66lbs heavier. So that makes sense why I hurt if I am reducing glycogen.
RhondaLynn
on 12/13/11 1:56 am
Hi South Texas folks...

I am a former Texan... but once a Texan always a Texan!!
I lived in Hope and Edna when I was younger.  My mom lives in Victoria and I have family still in Edna and Hope. 
It is fun to be reading a thread and see names of towns that are "home"..  I just wanted to give you a shout out... I am 5 weeks post op and things are great for me.. I have not experienced the shrinking pains yet!

Rhonda
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views