Tonight.. I want to cry...

quintons_mommy200

on 12/13/11 1:03 pm
So those of you who have been keeping up with me know I've been dealing with my leak for close to 5 months now. I've made leaps and bounds in getting better... but... it's still not 100% yet. My doc is ok with that, I can eat and drink and most of the time, I feel decent... except...

Every now and then, I get the shoulder pain back and sometimes it's bad. This happened right before Thanksgiving too and he did a scope to be sure all was well... and it was... (leak still there but still tiny, not getting worse)...

The last few days, my shoulder pain is icky. Enough so that I don't want to do anything but sit here and cry, which is NOT like me... I might call the doc, or maybe I won't... I know this is part of the deal while I'm still healing but after 5 months, it's really breaking me down tonight.

OK, that's all... just needed to get that out.

StrawWalker
on 12/13/11 1:13 pm
My heart goes out to you. Biggest hugs to you.
Take care
StrawWalker

Start 290, Current 180, Goal 150
frisco
on 12/13/11 1:45 pm

I'm sure you and your doc are trying.......and no one puts more into this than someone who has extended complications and especially a leak....

My only thought is that (and you probably have gone over this before) I just wonder if you would be better off going NPO (no food or drink) and get intravenous nutrition till your leak heals????

It may be faster than having pressure and foods/liquids stomach acids always pushing through the hole...... 

Wish you a prompt recovery.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

kimbethin
on 12/13/11 2:06 pm - CA
Hi - I'm so sorry the leak hasn't completely healed yet.  I know the long term waiting for it to resolve and the pain so frequently must be so frustrating. It's normal to want to cry it out.  Vent to us any time, that's why we are here.   Sending hugs and lots of good wishes your way. 

putting one foot in front of the other...        
frenchgrapes
on 12/13/11 2:08 pm - TX
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Hope the leak heals soon!
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
BriarRose
on 12/13/11 3:08 pm
I am so sorry that you have had to deal with this. Every one of us has that fear, and I am sorry that it happened to you. If you have more pain than you have had previously, I would be on the phone to your surgeon. No messing around with that one. Take good care of yourself.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
USAF Wife
on 12/13/11 11:37 pm
Sounds like referred shoulder pain, and it is terrible. I had it with my band and with my gallbladder attacks. From what my surgeon said and all my research, and other's stories show that it happens when pressure is put on the diaphragm and since it can't feel pain, we get the referred shoulder pain. I would literally cry when it happened sometimes, and I have a seriously high pain tolerance. I was in active labor and just kind of chilling through contractions that were off the little chart and the doctor was asking if I was hurting. It just fel like really bad cramping and then it would go away. But, that shoulder pain would send me to my knees. Certain foods made it worse, and I had to eliminate those foods from my diet completely for several months even after my gallbladder was removed.

I hope you get some relief soon!
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

quintons_mommy200

on 12/14/11 5:03 am
I can totally relate. I think the shoulder pain sometimes hurts worse than active labor too! I also handled labor like a champ, no crying, no puking, no sweating... nurses were telling me I was nuts cause on the machine the contractions were reading high enough that they were sure I should have been in a world of hurt... and while I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt at all, I could handle it. I think another thing is that contractions give you breaks, even if they're small ones... and you have one hell of a prize to look forward to at the end. The shoulder pain is consistant and annoying... and aside from the weight loss from the surgery itself, shoulder pain offers no kind of "prize". 

I don't have a gallbladder anymore... so I just keep telling myself this leak can't go on forever, and when it's gone, hopefully the shoulder pain will be gone.. and by then, I should be smokin hot and can live happily ever after, right?

USAF Wife
on 12/14/11 8:44 am
There is another lady on one our FB VSG pages who is experiencing the same thing with her slow healing leak. That's why I thought it could be the referred shoulder pain.

They showed me the little contraction tape that the machine spits out, and the nurse said " you don't feel that" and the little spike was all the way at the top of the graph. I just kept telling her "really, it's not that bad!" I was only at a 3, and -1 and getting ready to be wheeled into the OR for the csection, but I had been in labor all day and was doing housework, took a 3 hour nap, showered, and only called L&D because I started spotting. I seriously had no idea I was in labor LOL.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

quintons_mommy200

on 12/14/11 4:58 am
Thanks guys! I called my doc today.. waiting for them to call back to see if they can get me into endoscopy tomorrow to put more fibrin glue in. My doctor has determined that my body doesn't love the glue and won't let it stay forever, but the last time it lasted from the Monday before Thanksgiving until a few days ago and I had very little pain, so I'm hoping that will work out.

As far as the NPO thing- I did that for a couple of months... and TPN is some icky stuff. I had a lot of pain, vomiting, blood sugar issues- I'm not sure which is worse between the shoulder pain and the side effects of TPN. Both just suck ass. Bottom line.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views